Chapter 19: En Dehors (Or, a directive to make the melody stand out)

"Wait, you did you what?!" Botan shouted, nearly falling off the bed.

Asuka groaned and hugged herself.

"I can't believe this!"

It was Tuesday. Unable to contain her angst over spending the weekend with Kurama but nothing happening as a result, Asuka called Shizuru and asked if they could have a girl's hangout after school. Keiko showed up, and Botan, who was never one to miss a party, also came down.

They'd eaten their way through a box of pizza when Shizuru asked Asuka to spill. What she said completely shocked her friends.

"I know, okay," Asuka said. "And you were right Botan, if that makes you happy."

"Well duh it makes me happy."

"Happy about what?" Keiko asked.

Botan flipped upside down on the bed and grinned like a cat. "I told Asuka a couple weeks ago that she couldn't run away from her feelings for Kurama, and they should both stop being dummies and confess their undying love for each other and I just think—"

"I do love him."

There was silence from the rest of the girls. Even Botan, who'd been teasing Asuka was shocked to hear her say it so seriously.

Shizuru smiled. "Of course you do, Asuka."

Asuka ran her fingers through her tied back hair. "I just...I don't know what to do. He...he asked me to stay with him all weekend, but he never made a move. In fact, he seemed completely normal. When Kurama asked me to spend all that time with him, I thought it meant he felt something for me. But now I wonder if he just thinks of me as a friend, and nothing more."

"There's no way!" Botan cried. "He has to feel the same Asuka!"

"What do you think Keiko?" Shizuru asked.

Keiko tilted her head in thought. "I don't know. That's not anything like Yusuke and I. But it's not really the same thing, is it? Yusuke is actually fifteen. I'm fifteen. But Kurama is over a thousand years old and Asuka, you're..."

"Also old?"

"You make yourself sound like a granny when you say it like that," Keiko laughed. "But yes, Asuka. You're probably pretty old too. And how does that old of a yokai act when he's in love? I have no idea."

"Very wise," Shizuru said. She popped open a can of beer.

Botan reached over and motioned with her hand for Shizuru to give her a can.

Asuka wrinkled her nose. Cheap beer wasn't really to her pallet, but a drink sounded good. "Do you have any sake?"

"Asuka...."

"I need a drink and I'm a granny, so don't deny this poor old woman her only solace."

Shizuru laughed. "Fine, you win. Sorry Keiko. None for you."

"I don't want any. I think alcohol is gross."

Shizuru returned a moment later with a bottle of sake and a cup. She set the bottle down next to Asuka, who poured herself a drink, and knocked it back.

"Yeah, you've definitely had a drink or two before," Shizuru said.

"Cheers," Asuka said dryly.

Shizuru took another swig of beer then looked at Asuka thoughtfully. "Why haven't you used your Insight? I'm guessing you could rather easily learn what his true feelings are."

"I could, but I don't want to do that. It's extremely rude, and it's a violation of trust. I won't look unless asked."

"You're a better person than me," Botan said.