Intoxicated

Hermione grabbed her purse, stood up from the table and tipped her butterbeer into the lap of her date. She couldn't believe this was happening again. The entire time Daniel Alconbury drilled her with questions about Harry. Sometimes being best friends with the boy who lived was nothing short of exhausting. When Hermione finally asked Daniel if they could change the subject he had the nerve to ask her why she was being so stuck up. She'd show him stuck up by leaving him to contemplate the reasons with a pair of butterbeer soaked trousers.

Hermione stormed out of The Leaky Cauldron and sat down on the rickety wooden bench just outside of the pub. She blinked her eyes rapidly to keep her tears at bay. She wasn't upset over Daniel but over the fact she felt lonely and isolated. She'd spent the last two years as the assistant librarian at Hogwarts while studying to become a potions mistress. She would soon take her final exams, which she was excited about, but her social life had been a disaster. Hermione felt stuck in a cycle of bad dates, studying, and putting up with mischievous students in the library. She was beyond frustrated. She really just wanted someone to hold her at night. She wasn't even asking for a boyfriend, just someone that made her feel a little less alone. Her friends were all busy with their lives, as was she, but it wasn't the same as it use to be. They did get together from time to time and her friendships were the types where you could go long stretches without seeing one another then pick up as if no time had passed at all. But, she had other needs that friendships wouldn't fulfill.

Hermione pulled a tissue from her purse and blew her nose when she realized there was someone slumped next to her grumbling.

"Can you take your runny nose elsewhere Miss Granger?" A low voice said.

Hermione was incensed. She pulled back to look at the great lump sitting next to her. Maybe she would unleash her frustration from her bad date on the rude man when the realization came to her.

"Professor Snape?" He looked terrible. His eyes were heavy and he smelled of Fire Whiskey. He started to lean toward the young witch.

"Can't a man drink in peace." He hissed.

Hermione pushed him back upright. "I think we should get you back to your chambers Professor."

"You'd like that wouldn't you Granger."

"Actually no, I'd like to go to bed and not have to deal with you ridiculous men anymore."

"Boyfriend problems?" His eyes were starting to close. Hermione needed him at least somewhat lucid to apparate the two of them back to the school grounds.

"Come on, I need you to stand." He did as she said but didn't open his eyes. Hermione helped him up as best she could and apparated the two of them to the gates of Hogwarts and walked him to his chambers.

Hermione was shocked to see the state of the professors sitting room. It looked as though he went on a rampage. Papers and books were everywhere and a lamp was knocked to the floor.

The professor opened his eyes wide. The pressure from the apparation momentarily made him completely alert.

"The cleaning service has been lacking of late." Snape said sarcastically.

Hermione helped him to the fireside chair. She picked the lamp up off the floor.

"I think we'll get you some coffee." She watched the professor as he started to fall forward. She quickly caught him and pushed him back in the chair.

"Bed!" He shouted.

Hermione rolled her eyes and shook her head.

'Great, just what I need right now.' She thought to herself.