A Name

Hermione walked through the door to their chambers. Her feet were on fire from standing on the stone floor of the potions classroom most of the day. It was her seventh month of pregnancy and not only had her feet swollen but she felt like her entire body was ready to pop. Severus had been gone for the first three days of the week and she was teaching his classes, fortunately he would be back this evening. They had planned to have a late dinner together in their chambers. Severus told her he had a surprise for her though she couldn't imagine what it was but hoped it was a bassinet she had been eyeing at Charmed Baby.

Just as Hermione kicked her shoes off there was a knock at the door. It was Poppy.

"Come in Poppy." Hermione opened the door.

"Severus just sent his owl that you needed this, and to relay he will be later than expected and to eat without him." Poppy passed her a vile.

Hermione took the vile, a potion to help her swollen feet and ankles, but deflated from disappointment as she was eager to spend her evening with Severus. She hated whenever he had to be away for any length of time. This time it was an educational conference keeping him away.

"Thank you so much Poppy. I took the last of my supplies yesterday. This could not come soon enough!"

"Yes, well you let me know if you need anything else dear."

"I will. Thank you."

The older witch placed her hand on Hermione's tummy. "It's almost over."

"I wish I was one of those women who enjoyed pregnancy but I just want to feel normal again."

"I understand dear." Poppy looked at her sympathetically. "Make Severus rub your feet. Men get away with the luxury of someone else carrying their baby. It's the least he can do."

"I can't complain, Severus has been wonderful but if I could trade places with him right now I'd do it in a heartbeat!" She laughed.

________

Hermione ate her supper, took a shower, and crawled into bed with a stack of essays to grade. She wasn't a quarter of the way through the papers before she had fallen asleep.

When Hermione awoke Severus was removing the papers from her lap.

"Wait, I'm not done with those."

"They'll be there tomorrow pet." Severus scolded. He then leaned down to kiss his little witch then sat next to her on the edge of the mattress.

"How was the conference?" She inquired.

Severus just raised an eyebrow and shook his head.

"That good?" She snickered.

"Honestly, sometimes I think they only hold these things as a social event. Utterly useless."

"I'm glad you're home. I missed you."

"I missed you too. I don't like being away especially when you're this far along." Severus kissed her again. "Now, I have something for you."

Hermione had almost forgotten he had a surprise for her. Severus instructed her to stay in bed and he would bring it to her. A few moments later he walked through their bedroom door with the bassinet she had wanted.

"Oh Severus! It's beautiful! Thank you so much!"

Severus placed the bassinet next to her in the bed. He said nothing but nodded for her to look inside. Hermione peered into the bassinet to see a little black fur ball with green eyes looking at her.

"Severus!" She squealed picking up the little kitten. "He's beautiful!" She kissed the kittens forehead.

"She."