Chapter One

The Glacier Spirits Festival certainly looked like exactly what you needed to give yourself a much-deserved break. There were colorful tents all around, filled with all sorts of inviting games, eye-catching prizes, and delicious-smelling foods, and even a colossal ferris wheel at the center of it all. You enjoyed aiding Asami in Future Industries affairs, but helping run the development side of a business currently struggling to keep its head above water was undeniably exhausting. You, Asami, and Bolin endured a meeting with a peculiar, eccentric businessman named Varrick, then the three of you headed to the feast held in honor of the Northern Water Tribe chief, Unalaq.

During the feast, you talked and laughed with Asami, Bolin, and Mako, as Korra sat up front with her parents, her uncle, and his two children. At one point, you glanced in that direction to see how things were going for Korra, and you realized that the Northern Water Tribe prince was staring at you intently. From what you recalled from Korra's explanation of the twins, the one with ornamental pieces at the front of her hair was Eska, the chief's daughter, and the other was Desna, the chief's son – and both were a bit peculiar. You realized she wasn't wrong, because as you made eye contact with Desna, he just kept staring. What you found most peculiar was the fact that a stranger staring at you like that usually made you somewhat uncomfortable, yet eye contact with him made you mildly flustered, and momentarily concerned with your appearance for some inexplicable reason. (In hindsight, you realized that it was because you thought he was oddly handsome.) After several seconds, he looked away and began conversing with his sister, and you returned your attention to your friends.

After the feast had ended, you found yourself in the midst of the Glacier Spirits Festival, tagging along with Bolin, Korra, and Mako as you weaved your way through the crowd, stopping at a couple booths along the way. You kept trying to get everyone to participate in games with you, but Bolin was preoccupied with all the food vendors, and Mako and Korra were too busy feeding each other cotton candy like the lovebirds they were – which earned a mutual gag from you and Bolin. At one point, Bolin abruptly stopped dead in his tracks as he saw Eska and Desna – causing you to slam into his back, as you weren't paying attention at the moment he hit the brakes. You smacked him and asked what his deal was, but he ignored you, clearing his throat before handing Mako whatever fried food on a stick it was that he'd been eating.

"Wish me luck. Makin' my move," Bolin announced, before heading off toward the twins.

"Good luck," Mako replied incredulously, before Korra added, "Those two have always creeped me out. They smell like a grandma's attic."

You chuckled before turning your eyes to Bolin, interested to see how his interaction with the aloof Eska would go, and found that Desna was staring at you again. Just like before, you maintained eye contact for a few moments, before you became the first to cave, and returned your attention to conversation with Mako and Korra. You were definitely interested to see the outcome of his chat with Eska, but you decided it'd be best to just hear about it from him later. Keeping a curious eye on them wasn't worth how flustered you got when you locked eyes with Desna.

In the middle of discussing which game you guys should try, you felt a tap on your shoulder. You turned, expecting to see Bolin, back to tell you all about how poorly it went with Eska – but found none other than the aforementioned prince.

You failed to conceal the surprised look that crossed your face when you saw him, standing there with the same stony expression he'd had since his arrival in the South – the only difference being that now, he was holding a single, beautiful flower.

"I wish to court you."

His statement was simple and to-the-point, yet you were still left dumbfounded.