Chapter Nine

Once you all arrived at the South Pole, you stopped to visit Katara to leave Jinora with her and get caught up on what's been going on there. Apparently, Tonraq and the other rebels had attempted to fight Unalaq themselves, but failed, and Tonraq was captured. Asami then formulated a plan to get you all to the spirit portal and halt Harmonic Convergence. You boarded Oogie along with Korra, Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi, while Asami, Mako, and Bolin utilized Varrick's plane to create a distraction.

The plan seemed foolproof, but as you approached the portal and saw the myriad of dark spirits surrounding it, you knew that it was doomed. Spirits began to cling to Oogie and attack the rest of you. While Korra and Kya used their bending against them, you slashed at them with your broadswords, but none of you were making any progress. At some point, you lost Bumi, as he fell from the sky while fighting a spirit. The spirits continued to weigh Oogie down, until eventually, the sky bison crash landed, rendering all of you unconscious.

When you came to, you found yourself in a Northern Tribe tent, along with the rest of your crew and Tonraq, your wrists bound tightly with rope. Just as Korra attempted to reassure her father that there was still hope, Asami, Mako, and Bolin were all thrown into the tent, tied up as well. You looked up at the entrance, instantly locking eyes with Desna. The sadness written all over his face made your heart ache, but you understood. It was always blissful to see one another, but seeing each other under the circumstances of fighting on opposing sides wasn't exactly ideal.

Unalaq entered the tent then, explaining that the Avatar is the root of chaos, not peace, and that we should live together with the spirits.

"When Harmonic Convergence comes, I will fuse with Vaatu. And together, we will become the new Avatar. A dark Avatar."

You didn't miss the look of shock and concern that crossed Desna's face as he broke eye contact with you to gape at his father.

Unalaq then brushed off Tonraq's pleas, and turned to his two children, who had been sharing a doubtful look. "Keep them locked up. After the Harmonic Convergence, I will come for Korra."

"Yes, Father," Eska responded, but you could hear the distrust in her voice. Silence befell the room, and after Desna stole another glance at you, the twins turned to gaze out of the tent, eyeing the spirit portal. The look on his face told you that seeing you tied up like that and unable to help you hurt him, just as much as it hurt you that you were forced to fight on different sides.

"Eska, Desna, listen to me," Korra said, and they both turned around. "You've got to help us stop Unalaq. I know he's your father, but Vaatu has made him completely crazy."

"We will never turn on our father," Eska declared, clearly unbothered by their cousin's words.

"Please. If you let me out now, I can still stop him from destroying everything. Once he fuses with Vaatu, no one will be safe," Korra continued. She seemed to notice exactly what you did: although Eska seemed agitated by Korra's encouragement of their betrayal, Desna didn't look so sure. "Desna, he won't be your father anymore."

After a moment's hesitation, Desna stormed toward Korra. "You don't know what you're talking about! Our father is the wisest man in the world. If he says what he is doing is right, I believe him."

"Des, please listen to her," you interjected, and he turned to you. The enraged features of his face softened. "He wanted to let you die. He doesn't care about you, or anyone else, anymore. Vaatu has poisoned his mind. He's going to end the world as we know it. He's going to end me."

"No," Desna said without the slightest hesitation, his voice firm. "He won't hurt you. I won't let him."

"He's beyond reason, Des. He's not going to care if you try and stop him. He'll just end you too," you said softly, and his face fell.

"Enough!" Eska barked. "I have grown fond of you due to how much you and my brother care for one another, but I will not tolerate your attempt to brainwash him."

You and Korra both had your mouths open to continue the argument regardless, when Bumi suddenly flew through the entrance of the tent, slamming into Eska and Desna and knocking them both flat on their backs.

"Alright, guys! Rescue time!" Bumi declared, just as Eska and Desna stood up again. But before they could retaliate, Naga burst into the tent, and used her enormous paws to knock their heads together, rendering them unconscious.

Bumi helped everyone get out of their restraints, and as everyone began to walk out of the tent, you lingered for a moment, staring down at Desna. Asami noticed, being the last to leave the tent besides yourself, and she put a hand on your shoulder.

"Don't worry, they'll wake up soon, and he'll be alright. But we need to be gone by the time they do."

You nodded, and exhaled slowly before walking out and rejoining the others. Everyone made their way to the portal, and Tonraq encouraged everyone to go into the portal, and offered to hold off anyone who came after you.

"No, you're too hurt. You need a healer," Korra argued, then turned to you and Asami. "Can you two take Oogie and my dad back to my mom?"

"Mm-hmm," Asami confirmed, and you gave Korra a thumbs up. You and Asami climbed aboard Oogie, yourself at the reins.

"Yip-yip," you said, and the sky bison took off. Anxiety began to creep in, forming a knot in the pit of your stomach. As you climbed off Oogie, the sky began to change, bathing the world around you in an eerie shade of purple. Feeling helpless and afraid, you silently hoped that Korra would be successful and that Desna would be okay through it all.