Chapter Seven

Despite his somewhat irritating, melodramatic nature, you were eternally grateful that Varrick let you borrow his smallest, speediest ship. You'd barely finished asking to borrow one before he interjected with, "Going to visit your boy toy down south? Who am I to stand in the way of true love?" He then tossed you a set of keys, and declared, "Good luck getting past that blockade. Now, get going! I have important business to attend to. I have a pedicure appointment in ten minutes!"

Although you had no experience with ships, you picked it up quite quickly, and you wasted no time heading to the South Pole. You debated avoiding the barricade altogether, and finding another way in, but decided to keep that as a plan B. You hadn't actually participated much in the escape from the South Pole; that had been Varrick, Bolin, Asami, Mako, and Korra. With a bit of luck, the soldiers guarding the barricade wouldn't notice that you were technically an enemy of their Chief. So, you could just state that you're there to visit the prince, and there was no doubt in your mind that Desna would command them to let you dock.

You halted the ship as you neared the barricade, and within minutes, five Northern soldiers used their waterbending to come aboard.

"The South Pole is currently in lockdown, under order of Chief Unalaq of the Northern Water Tribe. Nobody gets in or out. You need to leave," the leader declared.

"I'm aware of the lockdown. But I'm here to visit Prince Desna."

"For?"

"A date. And tardiness happens to be one of his pet peeves, so I'm sure he'd love to know the names of the soldiers that caused me to be late."

With a hearty laugh, the man said, "I highly doubt you're here to go on a date with the prince."

"Actually, I heard he did start going out with somebody after he got here," another soldier chimed in. "Some gal from Republic City. Works for Future Industries."

"That'd be me," you said cheerfully, and the first man narrowed his eyes at you.

"I'm gonna need some paperwork to prove you're from Republic City, and that you work for Future Industries. If you don't have proof for both, you're not getting in. And we're searching your ship."

"Go for it," you replied with a shrug, then presented him with the ship's harbor permit for Republic City, and your ID from work. After that, the soldiers swept the ship thoroughly, then they gave you the green light to pass through the barricade and drop anchor in their harbor. The soldiers at the dock, seemingly bored by their uneventful post, told you they'd handle the docking of your ship, and that you should head off to visit the prince.

You exited the ship onto the boardwalk, and you were in the middle of a sigh of relief at how well your plan went, when a soldier you'd just passed called out, "Hey, you look like one of the people who left with Avatar Korra a couple weeks ago!"

"I haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about," you responded coolly, giving him a polite smile and a small shrug. "I guess I just have one of those faces. Bye!"

You couldn't get off that boardwalk fast enough.

It didn't take you long to get to the palace, but to your dismay, it was empty. A nearby guard informed you that Unalaq, Desna, and Eska all left for the Spirit Portal several hours ago, but they had yet to return. Knots began to form in your stomach as you wondered if the Spirit World was what you'd seen in your dream, and if their failure to return already was a bad sign. Shaking it off, you decided to head to the edge of town to wait for Desna. On your way there, you passed a healer's establishment, and a familiar voice from inside caused you to stop dead in your tracks.