Chapter Eleven

"Asami," you whispered, too stunned to muster much of a voice. "Look."

Both of you were too anxious to sit inside idly, so you had each taken a seat on the edge of the porch of Katara's healing hut after bringing Tonraq to her care. It had been uneventful after the sky turned purple, until you noticed a massive, horrifying, black and red figure appear over the horizon. When Asami turned to look in the direction you had pointed, she let out a gasp. The being reached its hand into the sky, somehow touching the beautiful Southern Lights with its palm, and disappeared with a flash of light. A substantial gust of wind, undoubtedly originating from where the being had taken off, blew yours and Asami's hair back, and the two of you were left in a state of shock.

"Well, that can't be good," you muttered, mostly to yourself.

"I'm going inside to tell Katara and Tonraq what we saw," Asami said, standing up and straightening her coat. "You coming?"

You looked out across the vast, snowy landscape, hoping with all your heart to see Desna, or any of your friends, returning, so you'd know they were safe and sound – but you saw nothing. With a sigh, you stood up and followed Asami back into the healing hut.

A short while later – although it felt like an eternity – Jinora awoke and informed you, Asami, Katara, Tonraq, and Senna that everyone is alright, and that Korra saved the world. You let out a deep breath, releasing tension that you hadn't realized you'd been holding in your body.

Jinora then turned to you, a small, sweet smile on her face.

"Don't worry, Desna is safe too. He and Eska helped protect Korra's body in the spirit world, along with all the others."

You couldn't help the smile that formed on your lips. You knew he'd choose the side of light in the end; it was just hard to do so, given the influence of his father. Unbelievably proud of him, and relieved that all your friends were okay, you thanked Jinora, and left to wait on the porch for everyone's return.

After twenty minutes or so of waiting, you noticed that Oogie perked up from where he laid in the snow nearby, seemingly aware that his companion needed him, and flew off. Not long after that, the sky bison returned, and you saw his saddle full of all your friends.

You jumped off the porch and ran full speed toward the creature, and just as Mako and Bolin's feet touched the snow, you crashed into them, enveloping them in the tightest hug you could manage.

"I'm so happy to see you two," you whispered, tears stinging your eyes. "You're my only family. I don't know what I'd have done if something happened to either of you."

"Same to you," Mako responded, patting your back before stepping out of your embrace.

"Not gonna lie, it got pretty questionable once or twice – or ten times – so I'm definitely glad everybody wound up okay!" Bolin admitted with a grin, then noticed Mako's subtle nod toward the bison. "Oh, there's somebody else who's excited to see you, too."

The boys stepped aside, revealing Desna to be standing awkwardly behind them, before they walked off to rejoin the rest of the group.

"I do not deserve your forgiveness, yet I am compelled to ask for it still," Desna began, eyes cast downward. "I was a fool for not listening to your council when it was given, and I am a terrible excuse for a partner for fighting on the opposing side – the wrong side. You were right about my father, it was just difficult to see that at the time.... I am so sorry, my darling."

Before he could even look up at you, you pulled Desna into a bone-crushing hug, wrapping your arms tightly around his neck. Immediately, his arms snaked around your waist, holding you as close to him as possible.

"I love you, Des. There's nothing to forgive. You're safe, and that's all that matters to me."

"I love you too," he whispered into your hair, then placed a kiss there.

What little remained of the day was spent in well-deserved relaxation. You and Desna lounged together in his room at the palace, and after you'd complained about being cold while sitting on the couch, he wordlessly guided you to the bed with him and covered you both up with some warm and cozy fur pelts. The two of you let out identical exhales as you settled into the fluffy mattress. You could see the fatigue in Desna's eyes, plus he was struggling to keep them open, and you weren't surprised. After all, he'd been fighting for pretty much the entire day; first against your friends, then with them.

"We should get some sleep, sweetheart," you murmured, testing the waters with a new pet name, as the two of you seemed to be doing as of late. He hummed in content, so you knew it was well received, despite the frown that formed on his lips as he allowed his eyelids to lose the battle of staying open.

"I do not want to."

"Why not? We're both exhausted. You especially."

"Because the night ending means I must escort you to your own room, and after the chaos of today, I am not willing to let you leave my side just yet."

You smiled softly, and kissed Desna on the cheek.

"So... don't." He opened his eyes slightly then to glance at you. "I can just spend the night here – if you're comfortable with that."

"The privilege of falling asleep with you in my arms is not something I would pass up," Desna said, without the slightest hesitation, before allowing his eyes to close again and pulling you closer to him. "Goodnight, darling. I will see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Des."