The northen water tribe

(Y/n)s pov:

My hands warmed as the ferry crossed the cold river, a smile graced my face as the ice walls were raised. They glistened in the mid day sun, anywhere else and this entire place would melt, but it was so peaceful and cold in the arctic circle. To someone like me from such a warmer area it almost seemed like magic that held this place frozen.

"Ms (L/n), you have arrived at your destination" one of the water tribe boys that worked on the ferry stated holding a hand out to me.

"Thank you, here's your money" I said placing 3 copper coins in his hand and hopping out of the boat onto the icy streets. The people walked around casually in such freezing temperatures, it was probably only such a marvel to foreigners like myself.

"Uh thank you" the boy responded slightly dejected. The streets were lined with people covered in blue, white and purple fleece. Most of them had tan skin and dark hair, I took a deep breath of the cold air. This place was so different than the fire nation. I heard cheers and claps from across the street, I felt compelled not even noticing my feet walking me towards the noise.

As I crossed the road and turned the corner a group of teenagers were standing there getting praised, one was a girl with long hair that was tied into a braid, I was sure she was water tribe. There was a boy with no hair and arrow tattoos all over his body, he was pale. I hadn't seen many people with his features. The final member of the group was a handsome guy with a pony tail, he looked similar to the girl, maybe they were siblings? I walked over and decided to give a show, I did a flip and walked on my hands in a handstand.

"Many thanks to the avatar" I yelled not really knowing why we were thanking him but being cheerful all the same, life was too short to question happiness.

"Wow that's some impressive moves" the bald kid said turning his head upside down, I chuckled.  "Thank you, your baldness, this comes from many years of training" I said flipping back up.

"Your baldness, now that's good humour" the other boy said wiping his eye sadly, I titled my head but ignored it for now.

"The names (Y/n), what's your names?" I asked them outstretching my hand.

"I'm Katara, nice to meet you" the girl greeted me, shaking my hand. "I'm Aang" the younger kid said with a smile, he seemed like a sweet kid, very kind. "The names Sokka" the older guy said with a sad smile, I tilted my head with a mix of sympathy and curiosity.

"What troubles you, oh cool pony tail guy" I asked Sokka with a smile, I wasn't sure how to handle it but I figured talking to him would help. A lot of people confide easier in strangers.

"Oh the usual, girlfriend gets turned into the moon," he said with a sigh. I tried not to react badly, I thought for a moment. "Ah yes, the best of us experience it" I joked trying to lighten the mood.

"Hey Sokka, cheer up she called your ponytail cool" Aang said hovering over us childishly, I nodded with a grin.

"Yeah I guess thats a good thing" he huffed with a pout.

"So (Y/n) were you here during the siege? You don't look very shook up" Katara asked me with a small smile. My stomach curled in disgust. "Siege?" I asked with a concerned head tilt. My mouth ran dry and my palms started sweating, everywhere I went the fire nation tainted, I couldn't escape it.

"Ah so you weren't, the fire nation attacked the northern water tribe a few nights ago" Katara said glaring at the ground. I was left speechless. Of course they did..... I took a breath to stabilise my voice.

"I'm so sorry to hear that" I said looking down at the ground. I should have seen the signs, so many guards around the gates.

"Don't be, it wasn't your fault" she said placing a hand on my shoulder. "It's ok, I just feel heavily for victims of the fire nation" I said plastering a smile on my face.

"Well (Y/n) we have to leave soon, I know we haven't known each other for very long but would you like to come with us, were travelling to the city of Omashu" Katara asked me with a smile.

"Oh I would be honoured to join you, I didn't have much to do in this wonderful place anyway" I replied with a smile and a curtsy, desperation trying to rid the loathing that gathered in the back of my mind.

Small time skip

As I chatted with Katara I found out the stories of the trio, Sokka and Katara were siblings from the southern water tribe, their mother was tragically killed by the fire nation and their father was absent, fighting in the war. Contrary to the others I knew Aang's story, it was told constantly to children in the fire nation, they painted the genocide of the air nomad peoples as their greatest success.

We climbed up the dock stairs, I stared at the giant bison creature with wide eyes.  "Hey Appa, come meet our new friend, she's really nice I'll think you'll like her" Aang said, waving to the great beast, I laughed softly. An old man preceded to talk to the others, I spaced out admiring Appa.

"Oh and who is this new addition?" the man asked, standing in front of me.

"(Y/n) (L/n) sir" I said bowing my head, he looked at me suspiciously before replying, I chuckled nervously. "Safe travels" he said as I nodded and climbed upon Appa.