The avatar state

(y/n)s pov:

"So this king Bumi, he's a great earth bender?" I asked Aang with a head tilt, an old man with an eccentric disposition and a hunchback didn't sound like the best candidate for avatar companion and mentor. Aang nodded, I patted Appa as we spoke, he was such a kind furry beast. In school they portrayed the air-bison as rabid stupid monsters, he was the opposite.

"Yes, he's a master earth bender, I've known him for like forever" Aang said with a smile, I chuckled at his exaggeration. "I think he's a crazy quack" Sokka added with a disapproving face, Katara slapped him in disapproval.

"There it is!" Sokka yelled pointing to something behind the rocky terrain, Appa landed on a smooth clearing of rock in the large mountain pass, too perfect to be natural. A landing pad of sorts for when we arrived in Omashu.

"Welcome avatar Aang, I am general Fong, and welcome to all of you great heroes, Momo, Appa, brave Sokka, mighty Katara and uh this young lady" general Fong said gesturing to all of us, faltering on me. I snickered softly as he coughed to clear the awkward pause.

"Mighty Katara, I like that" Katara mumbled, I nodded before a round of fireworks started going off, we all stared in awe at the colourful explosions.

"Not bad not bad at all" Sokka said as we were led into a building.  The general started talking about how impressive the avatar state was, I had only heard of it briefly, I was told that it was a state of when Aang was most powerful, he falls unconscious and his tattoos glow.

It was truly batshit crazy.

Fong continued drawling on about the avatar state. I stopped listening intently on his fourth use of the phrase 'awesome power'. "You are ready to fight the fire nation" he said, completely seriously in tone. My eyes widened and snapped up in the direction of the general, throughly snapping me out of my day dream about dressing Appa up like a dragon.

"No" I said simply as Katara spoke never-endingly about how Aang should be doing it the right way. My brain was cluttered with thoughts of how much innocence could be slaughtered by the unfiltered power and rage of the avatar stage.

"While you take your time learning the elements more and more people suffer, if you look at the med bay, they were the lucky ones" Fong said gesturing to the window.  Several barefoot soldiers trekked into the med bay, they all had injuries, some had burns some had broken limbs. It was tragic.

"He should still be doing this the right way" Katara stated a final time before Aang placed his hand on her shoulder.

"I'll do it" Aang said nodding at Fong. Katara whipped her head towards him, I stared wide eyed at Aang, Katara was right this wasn't the way we should be doing things.

"Thank you for your cooperation avatar Aang" Fong thanked with a smile.  Katara stormed off, I followed her. She stopped at the hallway leaning against the wall slowly falling into a sitting position.

"Ugh why won't he just listen; this just isn't the right thing to do!" She growled, clearly frustrated. I nodded.

"Yeah, it doesn't seem right, if the avatar state is so powerful what's the catch, it just doesn't seem safe" I replied sitting next to her with a sigh, pulling my knees into my chest. Aangs job was to stop this war, needlessly putting innocent people in danger because they live in the fire nation wasn't the answer.

Time skip

I sat on my bunk above Katara's bed, we were in a kind of awkward silence. "You don't really think this is a good idea, do you?" Katara asked Aang crossing her arms.

"Well, if I can save more people by doing it like this-" Aang said scratching his neck before getting cut off. "How can you actually think about going through with this?!?" Katara yelled standing up from her bunk.