Survivor

The blade of his sword ran red with blood as he dropped another body amongst the many behind him. He gave the man an unwavering look seeing his eyes clinging to life as Barry ripped his sword from his chest.

He kept walking forward as Nyssa followed silently. Normally on missions Barry isn't the one to actively seek out killing, he would usually use it as a last restort, but now he's killing without a care in the world.

She knew why he doesn't kill and it was their fault.

--Flashback--

A eleven year old Barry rubbed his eyes only to see the bright green eyes of his best friend.

"Morning Barr, hurry up." Kasey smiled. She has been one of his best friends ever since Ra's took him to the League.

"Kase, not now." He mumbled as she pulled on his arm

"C'mon hurry up, it's our graduation day." She smiled happily. Today was the day all the new recruits were able to graduate and become full fledge members of the League of Assassins.

"Okay, okay i'm coming." He chuckled softly seeing the innocent bright eyes of his friend.

Barry dressed himself in his League robes with his hood down and made his way to the ceremony room. After beeing here for five years he knew the layout like the back of his hand.

"Morning Barr." Elijah, one of Barry's rivals smiled.

"Morning." Barry said, "You nervous for our graduation?" He asked

"Kind of, at least we get to graduate together." Elijah smiled warmly chucking his arm around Barry's shoulders.

They entered the ceremony room and saw Kasey smiling and waving at them.

"All kneel before the Demon's Head." A commanding voice spoke as everyone on instinct knelt down out of respect.

"Raise your heads young ones." Ra's spoke out, "All fifteen of you have come so far since you first started and i couldn't be prouder of you guys." He smiled

"But as you know, the League only accepts the strong." Ra's continued. The large metal doors leading into the ceremony chambers slowly shut leaving behind a lound clang noise.

"Only the strong can survive in this world........and only one person will graduate today." He said as it slowly dawned on Barry. His heart practically stopped beating as Ra's continued to speak

"You have probably figured it out, only the strongest person here will graduate, the weak will be exterminated...." Ra's finished

Barry heared murmurs amongst the crowd and heard his beat friend unsheathe his sword

"E-Elijah, what are you doing?" Barry asked in shock

"What i have to.....you heard him only the strong can survive." Elijah said with tears in his eyes as he brought his blade up ready to strike Barry down.

"D-Don't......Elijah!!!!!!" Barry yelled out as Elijah ran his sword through his own chest and fell to the ground. This spurred everyone else to start fighting for their suvival. In the midst of a battlefield Barry was holding his best friend in his arms.

"Why....Why!!!" Barry yelled at his best friend

"B-Barry.....i'm sorry...t-that, i wasn't strong enough..to keep my promise but if i do this.....you have a higher..chance of leaving here alive." Elijah muttered with blood pooling from his mouth.

"It's okay, i forgive you." Barry cried as tears fell from his eyes 

"Live Barry....do whatever it takes to live, please." Elijah whispered before the life drained out of his eyes.

Someone ran up to Barry ready to kill him until his neck was slit. Barry gave him a death glare before cutting his head off.

His eyes scanned for his green eyes friend only to see her clutching her stomach and leaning against a wall.

"Kasey!!" Barry yelled running over to her and holding her hand, "Hey, hey, you're going to be alright." He said as she opened her eyes

"B-Barry." She smiled softly knowing her time was limited

"Kasey, don't close you eyes, please." Barry begged

"Barry....if you survive...no.....when you survive......get out of here.......forget about me." Kasey whispered weakly

"How can i? You're my best friend Kasey, i can't forget about you." He cried holding her hands.

"Where's Elijah?" Kasey asked feeling her life slipping through her hands like trying to catch sand.

"H-He's still alive." He lied to give her some sort of comfort

"Good...." She said weakly, "B-Barry......" She said before ripping her necklace off her neck and slowly opening his palm and placing her necklace in his hand.

"Please......don't die." She muttered before her body went limp.

"K-Kasey?....Kasey!!!!!" Barry cried out holding her limp body.

First Elijah, now Kasey. Both his best friends were dead now. He had no one, nothing, he needed to live...not for his sake, but so he can fufill the final wishes of his closest friends.

He picked up Kasey's sword and turned to face the people running around like animals, killing eachother.

There were only eight left excluding himself. He tightened his grip around his sword and ran forward pushing his sword through the back of someone who he had recognised a few times. He turned around and stabbed his sword through the skull of someone who had helped him out multiple times during training.

His sword was coated by the blood of his peers, people who he considered his friends. One by one the numbers slowly reduced, further and further, until there was one person standing admist the sea of blood.

He slowly walked ove the the corpses of his two best friends and fell to his knees.

"I survived." Barry whispered, "I'll live, for you, i promise." He said as tears fell from his eyes.

"I'm sorry." He said as he let out a cry of pain and sorrow.

Ra's felt sympathy for the boy because he knew exactly what Barry going through.

"Barry, i've been in your position before...i know the pain you're feeling all to well. I will make sure you keep your promise." Ra's said sympathetically. In truth Ra's had a soft spot for Barry, but he didn't know why.

--Flashback Over--

Nyssa looked at her brother with sympathy and put her hand on his shoulder.

"Barry, we may not be related by blood but our bond goes far deeper than that." Nyssa said as Barry gripped his sword tighter.

"Nyssa.....why did he make me the heir?" Barry asked slwoly turning to face her, "Why was i the only who lived?" He asked. His mask was down and he revealed something to Nyssa that he hasn't shown anyone else in a long time.......his tears.

"I'm sorry Barry." Nyssa said giving him a soft hug.