A Warm Heart

The snow fell gentlely as Barry gazed out of the window while not paying attention to his school work. He has his chin sitting on top of his hand while spinning a pencil in his other hand.

"Is there something interesting outside Mister Allen?" Mrs Roberts asked with a stern voice

"No Miss." Barry said turning away from the window

"I suggest you pay attention." Mrs Roberts said slamming her hand on his desk

"I suggest you lower your tone with me." Barry said shooting daggers through her eyes with just a stare. 

Mrs Roberts felt a cold chill as if she was staring right into the face of the abyss. Kara was sitting quietly behind Barry observing the situation and Barry. She would sometimes find herself staring at him, trying to figure out what was going on in his mind.

Before the situatoin escalated anymore the bell went off. Barry grabbed his books and his bag and left the classroom leaving Mrs Roberts speechless.

As he was walking down the hall he felt someone put their arm around his shoulder

"Hey Barry." Arthur smiled 

"I know i said we are friends, but please get your arm off me." Barry said trying to pry his arm off as another smalled arm wrapped around his shoulders

"You know tomorrow is Christmas." Kathlyn said excitedly

"I don't celebrate the birth of someone who was born over a thousand years ago." Barry sighed

"Why not?" Kathlyn pouted crossing her arms over her chest

"We may be at school but remember who you're talking to." Thomas pointed out, seemingly appearing out of nowhere.

"I know, i know." Arthur said holding his hands up in defence.

"Don't be such a kill joy." Kathlyn whined, "Speaking of which the Prom is coming up soon." She said

"Who are you taking Barry?" She asked. He looked at in disbelief before sighing and walking away.

"Barry hey." Kara waved as she jogged up next to him while holding her books to her chest, "What'cha doing?" She asked

"Kara, i know you don't care what i'm doing right now, just ask your question." Barry sighed as she nodded

"What are you doing for Christmas?" Kara asked 

"Nothing, my fmaily doesn't celebrate Christmas." Barry answered as Kara's face fell.

"Oh.....well me and Alex are hosting a Christmas party for the senior year students, if you wanna come you know my number." She said smiling as she walked off to her next class.

"No i don't." Barry said to himself.

***

"Why so suddenly?" Nyssa asked confused as she wiped some sweat off her forehead

"Just wondering." Barry said doing the same as they got back into a fighting stance

"You never wanted to take part in Christmas activities before." Nyssa said throwing a punch as Barry ducked under it

"Maybe we can do things differently this year." Barry suggested as he blocked a kick from his sister.

"What's gotten into you lately?" She asked lowering her gaurd

"What do you mean?" He asked dropping his arms to his side.

"I mean that before you used to hate everyone, you always had a gloomy look on your face, but lately you've been........happier." She smiled

"I don't know either." Barry shrugged throwing a towel at her face

"Maybe the great heir of the Demon's Head isn't as heartless as we thought sister." Tahlia taunted.

He sighed and walked away not having the patience nor the energy to argue with his sister.

Barry always thought that the life he leads won't end in happiness, only death and despair for him and those around him. He knows that he's beyond redemption but he can't help but think maybe......just maybe he eventually he can have a normal life.

He feels as if he's haunted by the people he's killed and the people he's failed. His comrades that trusted him with their lives and died because he put the mission first. Everywhere he goes, every step he takes is deeper and deeper into the abyss.

He scoffed at himself for thinking he could have a normal life, anyone who knew about his true self would run away and never look back. How can someone like him even hope of a normal life?

"Why the gloomy expression?" Jade asked as Barry rubbed his temples

"Nothing you need to worry about." Barry answered as he walked out of the front door.

He walked through the snow looking down at the ground as he kicked a rock along the path.

The snow was a painful reminder of two people he had failed in the past constantly yelling at him at how those two people died because of him.

"Aren't you cold?" A bubbly voice spoke

"Why is it that every time i go on a walk i see you?" He asked as Kara shrugged her shoulders, "Are you stalking me?" He asked causing her to get flustered.

"N-No, i like the snow so i went on a walk." She said as the sun slowly set behind her, "So.......are you coming or not?" She asked referring to her Christmas party.

"Probably not." He replied as her happy smile slowly dimmed, "Is what i would of said if you had asked me a few weeks ago, but now.......maybe." He added

"So that means you will come?" She asked happily

"Why not." He said. Along their walk together Kara forgot it was snowing, she forgot it was cold outside because when's with Barry.....she feels a warmth in her chest.

In that moment when she looked at Barry as snow fell around them she realised that she enjoys his company and when she wakes up in the morning to go to shcool, it's not for history class anymore, it's to be with Barry.