Chapter 5

As Katniss reaches a clearing, pushing through a curtain of leaves, we see Rue on the ground, tangled in a net. The boy from District 1, Marvel I think his name is, stabs her with a spear that instant.

That is, Rue and not Katniss. I can see Prim's eyes widening. It's not like this is PG-13, even I feel sick. Then it all happens so fast.

Katniss lets one arrow loose, striking Marvel in the chest. She cuts the nets around Rue with her pocket knife, crouching over her. We all know what's coming, unavoidable. I think I see a tear trickle down Katniss's cheek, and I'm surprised. Watching her kill Glimmer, she seemed so heartless. But I push the traitorous thought away.

"Did you blow up the food?" Rue whispers, and Katniss tucks a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"I did." Her voice is hoarse, hoarser than I've ever heard it."Good." She says, and pauses. "You have to win, Katniss."

Katniss glances over at Marvel before she replies. It's obvious that he's stone dead. But she still doesn't answer.

"Can you sing?" Rue asks in a whimper. It seems like a strange last request to me, but Katniss understands the importance.

"Okay." She makes us wait a second. Or maybe the Capitol's just choosing to show this in slow motion, to make it even more heart-wrenching.

What must Rue's parents and friends, back in District 11, feel like? I struggle to imagine.

Deep in the meadow

Under the willow

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow

Lay down your head and close your eyes

And when they open again the sun will rise

Katniss' voice cracks. I'm not sure whether she believes Rue will ever wake up again, in heaven. In all the time we've spent together, we've never discussed religion. It's unbelievable.

Here it's safe and here it's warm

Here the daisies guard you from harm

Here your dreams are sweet

And tomorrow brings them true

Here is the place

Where I love you

I can tell that Prim and Mrs. Everdeen are struggling to keep back their tears, and so is Katniss.

But not me. I'm furious, for the first time.

I've never known anger like this.

I'm furious with the Capitol for playing with us, playing this game, killing this girl who could have been alive, along with 22 other people. This is wrong at the deepest level possible.

I hate them.

There's no other way to say it.

Then Katniss hurls her remaining arrows into the forest with a primal scream.