Chapter 15

It's  hot and damp, stuffier than the forest back in District 12. I hear the siren-like calls, but whether they are innocent birds or cruel mutants I have no idea. The skies above me are a threatening grey, like dark mattresses.

A canon fires, and I freeze.

It starts to rain, pouring down. Thunder echoes in the distance - and I can't help wondering - whose life was just ended.

"Katniss!" I call, tentative to hear what I sound like against the loud weather conditions.

Again, but louder this time. "Katniss!"

There's no response, and I call once more.

"Katniss!" It's a desperate plea, coming in vain, because I receive no answer.

There is a suspicious rustling in the bushes behind me.

I refuse to look back, defiance overwhelming all other thoughts and emotions I might be experiencing.

"Come and get me, if you can." I'm no longer sure who I'm addressing.

Another sound, one that chills me to the marrow.

Heart throbbing, I turn around...

I have no idea what there will be, but I know there's something.

And I know it's not good...

There's a loud scream - mine -, and then I'm sitting up in bed, tangled in wool blankets that are hot and making me itch.

A dream. It was all just a dream.

The intense terror drains away.

But that's when I realize - it wasn't just a dream.

Of course, chances are I will never be in the Arena.

But that doesn't mean the canon will never fire for Katniss...

A/N

If I disappear until Monday, it's the WiFi connection in the mountains, but I will be back! D:

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Please vote, comment and add to your reading lists to support me!