Chapter 18/ Author's announcement

[Peeta's pov]

Some see our district's endless black shadows, dark slim trees and coal littering the ground as depressing. I don't.

When you're outside at sunrise, you see the how the skies light up pale golden behind them. The promise a new day makes...

But this morning, as I walk out onto the porch, on the way to get some wood, there's something ominous about it. I can't help looking around me-

"Hello." The voice is cold, managing to be unwelcoming even though the porch we're on is mine.

Gale Hawthorne. Katniss' best friend back home. The person who's been haunting me since she confessed having no real feelings for me. The person she must love.

He's taken a seat on the bottom step.

"What are you doing here?" I don't recognize the voice I'm speaking in, it's so hostile.

"I'm here to tell you that you don't have a chance with Katniss." The words abrupt, coming from nowhere. Or perhaps not nowhere. I knew that all along, didn't I?

"Please, man. Save me the "stay away from her" talk. I know Katniss is yours-"

Gale interrupts. "And I don't either. She's messing with us, Pete." He did not just- "She's playing around." Are you kidding me? Well, that's a new take. "It was all a lie, her feelings for you." Wait a second. Now he's warning me?

"Look, I don't know what's going through your head, but Katniss told me loud and clear it was all an act." I wrap my arms around myself.

[Gale's pov]

Peeta's getting defensive, I can tell from his stance.

Good.

"That's fascinating, but I still have something to tell you so shut up." I emphasize the words. "It's not just you. I thought she-"

How to phrase it? All at once, I don't know. Did I ever feel sure about Katniss and I? About us? Did I ever think that she liked me? I guess I didn't focus on that. I just focused on her being mine one day when we were too old to be entered into the draw. And that would have happened, I'm sure.

When you live in such a small town, the chance that you'll get married to someone you shared a platonic relationship with is far higher.

"I thought she and I were going to get married."

His eyes grow wide.

"I thought she would be here, be mine forever."

I stare at Peeta, attempting to gauge his emotions or thoughts at this moment.

"Then she volunteered. And she met you. And she realized there was more to the world than me. I'm just Gale. You, on the other hand, are Peeta Mellark, the fellow victor of the 74th Annual Hunger Games. How can I ever compete?"

As I say the words, throwing each at him like a weapon, I realize how true they are.

"I-" He begins, but I don't let him continue; Peeta Mellark has had his say. He's had it since he got the chance to confess his love for Katniss to the entire Panem. It's time I had mine.

"And you know what?"

I'm done.

"I'm done here. I'm done competing. I'm done being your rival. She may not know it, but Katniss loves you. I'm not getting in the way when there's true love around."

I wait for the pain to come, stabbing me in the chest.

It doesn't.

A/N

Two reads away from 400, (now) two chapters away from 20, one vote away from 50, one comment away from 40.

But writing May The Odds has been a deeper, richer experience than just the statistics show. I've fallen in love with Gale, Katniss and Peeta all over again, gaining new insight into their characters and what I think should happen.

I've come to a conclusion, which is that I'm not that interested in rewriting the entire series from his perspective. Leaving canon behind yesterday made me feel freer than I have during this whole process.

So, I have a plan. It involves this chapter and two more, before I bring this alternate universe to a conclusion that I hope will leave you satisfied, and grateful that you chose to invest in what has been an incredible, eye-opening journey. (At least for me.)

Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. Each second was amazing, and thank you for allowing me to have this chance...