Crashing Down

"Do you think they'll be girls or boys?" FP sombrely asks Alice, stepping behind her and protectively wrapping his arms around her waist and abdomen. She loved the comforting feeling it brought her, especially when she was feeling tense.

"I don't care, I just want them to be healthy." She smiled, carefully stacking the glasses into crates as the two of them started closing up the bar.

"Very cliche." FP grinned with a quirked eyebrow, not quite believing her answer. "C'mon! What do you really want?"

"Honestly?" Alice quipped, turning in his arms and glaring up into his Chestnut orbs as he nodded. "Boys." She firmly but confidently concluded, causing FP to raised an eyebrow as her revelation stunned him a little.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah! I've already had girls, raised girls. Something different this time around would be appreciated." She began to explain, knowing her answer was valid enough, but still feeling that she had to defend herself. "I mean, you're lucky you have one of each so you wouldn't get it."

"Hey, it's no judgement babe." FP softly assured her with a chuckle, but the feeling of her slightly pulling away and becoming taut, along with the tight smile she was forcing, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

"Al? What's up?"

"Nothing." She anxiously lies, turning her back once more and directing her focus to her job, but no matter how hard she tried, she could never hide her feelings from the man who loved her with his whole being. He could read her like a book, examine every small detail, gesture, act and conclude something was troubling her of making her feel unsettled, which she wasn't quite used to as she had never been in a relationship or with a man who displayed his level of emotional depth or undeniable care for her.

"You're still upset about me not moving in, aren't you?" He cautiously concerns, his whole face suddenly being consumed with guilt.

"Of course not!" She snappily denies.

"Al-" He softly sighs, carefully approaching her, touching her waist and gently turning her around, being hit with her mesmerising ocean blues as they gazed up at him. "I didn't reject it entirely, I just said it's a huge step and a lot to think about." He calmly explained, relaxing his hands on her tense shoulders as she sweetly nodded, accepting and understanding him.

It did sting to the heart a little when he objected to the innocent suggestion a few days ago, but given his reasons, mainly being that it was a huge step not just for him but his kids as well, who had already been through enough, she could see why he was so hesitant.

"I know. I know you don't mean any harm." Alice softly accepted, twitching her lips up into a brief smile before instinctively leaning her head into his as he began to lay a protective but comforting kiss on her forehead.

"I love you." He passionately declared shortly after, smoothing his thumb along her cheek and tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. "All three of you, and where we both live doesn't change any of that."

Alice just giggled innocently, leaning into his chest and embracing his warmth as he stroked her shoulders from the back, but their tender moment was interrupted by the breaking of a particularly unexpected story on the night time news.

"Hiram Lodge, a 41 year old prestigious businessman, born in New York but more formally acquainted with Boston went missing roughly six weeks ago." The broadcaster of RIVW stated.

The second his name was heard, the hairs on the back of Alice and FP's necks stood high, and a chill ran down the both of their spines.

"He is believed to be last seen entering the county line on the 7th May at around 10:45pm. Riverdale's Sheriff department is urging anybody to come forward with any information that could help their inquiries."

"FP?" Alice anxiously breathed out, glaring deeply into his eyes and looking for an answer from him. "What are we gonna do?"