Retribution

It's been a few days since Chase's unexpected invitation to Zuma on little Hootie's hill and a few days since they last spoke. After their little chatter underneath the veil of night, the morning after, Zuma woke up alone on his sleeping spot. The area was cleaned as if nobody set foot on the hill. The spot where Chase slept at was cleared of his sleeping bag and snacks. It was though as Zuma had dreamt everything that happened - Chase's invitation, his intimate moment and the deep conversation.

Zuma roamed around the beach in his hovercraft and dove underneath the water to patrol the depth of Adventure Bay's ocean. Deep underwater creatures dwelled in groups-schools and some were individual species. He gave out a deep sigh as he traveled through the reefs exploring beauties of the aquatic world. He saw weird defense mechanisms of prey against their predator. Some use their environment like octopuses' camouflage, some use their natural assets like squids that spurt ink and some sacrifice their own kind just to get by like schools of fishes that use their number to satisfy their predator and whoever's left is the luckiest. It was life underneath the ocean.

But as interesting as it looked, Zuma's face was confused rather than excited. He wasn't confused of what he's seeing because that's what life is in the wild. He felt confused because he didn't know if everything that happened to him on that night really happened. He kept mistaking it as a mere dream and that he sleepwalked toward little Hootie's hill but Chase's scent was embedded on his fur so it has to be real. Maybe I should just ask him, he thought but sighed in frustration. He feared that Chase might turn him down and make him look like a fool. After all, it is easier to deny with sincerity than spit out truth with confidence.

He emerged back to the surface and returned to the lookout wearing the same façade he shows whenever Chase is around - happy go lucky, problem free puppy. But even with a mask on, confinement is just as hard. It was that hard especially on awkward moments when Chase would walk past him without saying a word or looking at him. He treated him like a ghost... no, he treated him like he was nothing - a manifestation of invisibility, silence and hollowness. What could have gotten Chase to make him feel mad about Zuma? The answer lies within his depth.

Zuma walked back outside when he saw the same Chase he's been enduring for days - distrustful, rude, ignorant, disdainful, repugnant and perfect. He heard the door of the lookout open; he turned his whole body and saw Chase looking at his direction. His body froze and his gaze was immediately locked to Chase's cynical eyes. He was stunned because of his immediate turn and he couldn't move or look away because he's afraid of what Chase might think if he sees him act 'differently'. Immobilized and unable to do anything, pressure filled his body and he couldn't stand another moment of awkwardness when Chase walks past him as if he's air.

With a stressed tone, he spoke "Chase...heh-heh...dude..." his eyes rolled to the ground.

Chase looked at him with the same cynical eyes and walked by without saying anything and once more, Zuma endured being nothing. As much as he wants to just run over Chase and force him to notice him... speak to him, even if Zuma has to kiss him, which he would most likely like, he couldn't. He turned to Chase with his eyes closed, clouded with tears and didn't even see Chase sitting just in front with a mirthless face. Zuma walked by.

Around noon, all the other pups were called on missions. Marshall, Rocky, Skye, Rubble and Chase except for him. At the end of every mission, however, uncalled pups are free to join them for a little celebration of accomplishment but Zuma's not going. I can play pup-pup boogie and eat snacks all night, he thought, a little excited about his activity.

And so, on that night, he did what he thought. After standing by, in case Ryder needs him during the mission, he ran back to his pup house, undressed himself of his gear and raced back to the kitchen filling his bowl with snacks and running up to the lookout only to see a police pup playing the game before him.