The Remedy

As promised, will be posted today... I fell asleep. Sorry.

        Ryder and Katie returned with a veterinarian sponsored by the PAW Patrol Center. The center guaranteed that she’s the best they know of and that she’s always been the one to tend on the pups. Katie, however, doubted her when she talked to them about the remedy she’s going to give. Katie wasn’t an expert and she most certainly is not a veteran like the one sitting with them inside the lookout but anyone who knows about animals know what overdose is.
            “But don’t you think injecting multiple serums plus adding some medicines in his food and water is a little too much?” Katie asked, scanning the syringes and bottled medicines inside a brown case.
            “Don’t be silly,” the old woman spat. Her face was over-colored with makeup and the scent of her perfume scoured the entire lookout.
            Katie took one of her medicines and opened the lid; putting it under her nose to smell it, she immediately discarded the liquid as the foul scent burned her nostrils. “With all due respect ma’am,” Katie began, “I’m not one to question your ways but even if I’m just a kid and my experience is nothing compared to yours, I know when it’s an overdose.”
            The old woman got up and slammed her case shut, “Excuse me?” she asked, her voice was as sassy as she looked and she laughed the words out. “Why am I here right now?”
            Katie looked at her with sincerity – her eyes reading question and contradiction, “To help Sherwood… get better.” She mumbled and pointed her two index fingers against each other over and over.
            The woman sat back down at the sofa of the lookout and took a long pipe cigarette, “Because?” she asked.
            Katie sighed in inferiority and finished the sentence like the old woman wanted her to, “Because I couldn’t cure him…”
            “Exactly!” The woman bursts. “And you dare question my remedy?” She asked just to insult Katie.
            “No… ma’am,” Katie answered with her tone dropping. She didn’t dare to look or question the old lady anymore but she knows to herself that there will be a side effect for whatever the woman is going to do with Sherwood and she has to prepare at least one countermeasure when that time comes.
            “If that is settled then take me to the poor pup in need,” She got up frivolously and threw her pipe cigarette on the floor, “Throw that in the garbage for me will you, darling?” She ordered Katie.
            Katie waited for the old lady to walk out the room before picking up the cigarette and throwing it to the garbage. She walked to Sherwood’s room where she met the old lady once more still not going in.
            “Sherwood is just inside ma’am,” Katie reminded, her hands were locked against each other to show sincerity and assistance.
            “I know!” The woman exclaimed, “I’m just freshening up, dear.” She looked at Katie with her thick makeup making it hard for Katie to know her expression. She looked like a clown in a lab coat.
            The woman took out a sanitizer and sprayed the door with it.
            “Those doors automatically open, ma’am. There are no knobs.” Katie’s expression turned blank at how pathetic the old veterinarian looked. Is she even as good as the center says she is? She asked herself.
            “Ah yes, I know that.” The woman spoke as she stepped at the entrance and the door automatically opened.
            Ryder was sitting at one corner on a chair, deeply observing Sherwood who wore the happiest of smiles as he played with Skye. The smile on his face was immeasurably… contenting.
            “Is this the pup in need?” The woman’s voice traveled the whole room.
            Thinking that the woman already knew who the pup was, Ryder nodded and the woman raced to Sherwood’s direction. “Oh you poor, cute cockapoo,” the woman quoted as she carried Skye in her arms.
            “The cockapoo is not the pup in need, ma’am.” Katie said in a monotone, her face was blank as if she lost her soul.
            “Oh… I knew that,” the old woman put Skye down and proceeded to Sherwood.
            “Oh you poor, Rottweiler,” She was about to carry Sherwood when Sherwood got out from the bed and cowered in a corner.
            “Please help me…” the poor Rottweiler begged, shaking in fear as he looked at the thick makeup colored clown for a vet.
            The woman laid her gigantic case filled with nonessential medicines on Sherwood’s bed and took a long sharp syringe filled with the dosage she made for him. “This won’t hurt a bit…” she smiled showing all her thirty two teeth.
            Sherwood cowered in the corner and didn’t know what to do. When the woman was near him, he barked, startling the vet and forcing her to take a few steps backward and making her trip from her heels.
            “Do you need me to inject your serum to Sherwood for you, ma’am?” Katie asked with her voice unchanging and she wore a poker face.
            Ryder walked to help the old woman get up. He looked at Katie and chuckled at her face.
            “Is there something funny, Ryder?” Katie asked robotically.
            “You look like your soul was taken away from you,” Ryder finally laughed, unable to contain it anymore.
            Katie looked at him with the same face – bored, soulless, robotic and blank. “If you were me you’d look like this by now.” She took the syringe from the old woman and walked slowly to Sherwood.
            “Come here, Sherwood,” Katie called, reaching one hand to Sherwood.
            “Katie?” Sherwood opened his eyes, his tail wagged excitedly as he approached her.
            “This’ll make you feel better, I assure you.” Katie said as she took Sherwood in her arms and laid her on the bed. Before injecting the serum, Katie took a cotton bud and took a sample of the serum. Katie felt an alcoholic sensation when the liquid from the cotton slightly damped her skin. She highly doubted the medicine. “Sherwood,” Katie whispered as she injected the serum on the bed, “Lie over here,” she assisted him to move, “And pretend you were hurt a bit.”
            Sherwood gave a shriek and pretended to have been hurt by the long needle in Katie’s hand.
            “Are you alright, Sherwood?” Skye asked, walking up the bed to where Sherwood lied.
            Sherwood winked at her and slightly moved his back to show her the serum absorbed by the mattress.
            “You’ll surely get better now, Sherwood.” Skye said like she was rehearsing a script. “That serum will help you recover.”
            “Now that that’s over,” The woman clapped her hands, “Katie, dear, at ten-thirty, you will come and assist me again to inject another serum, another serum at one o’ clock oh and before I forget, add these to his water and food,” The woman took two bottled medicines and Katie examined them with doubt. As the woman read the long paper of her schedule of total overdose, Katie decided to test her medicines now.
            “Yes, ma’am… I’ll be back here by the next medication.” Katie ran out of the room.
            “Ta-ta, dear, see you later.” The woman bade, waving only the tip of her hand to Katie who rushed out of the room.