Educate Me

by Jasmine

by Jasmine

Now that Black Lives Matter is a trend and everybody wants to be woke, the burden has been placed on Black people to educate yall. But the fact of the matter is that yall don't want to be educated, yall want to argue and derail progression. So I'm writing this to talk about why I am no longer explaining racism or sexism or the other isms and phobias.

In her essay "The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House," Audre Lorde says a primary tool of oppressors is to call on the oppressed to educate them. She writes that oppressors do this to "keep the oppressed occupied with the master's concerns" and drain energy that can be used to destroy the racist capitalist patriarchy we live in. This resonated with me because non-Black people online and in real life have been asking me to educate them for the past year and I'm tired. I've realized that these people aren't genuine, they just want an argument.

Since writing this book, I've gotten many comments and messages saying "Maybe you should educate white people so they won't be mean" or "If you want to change their minds, teach them" or "Can you explain..." It's upsetting to see stuff like this because nine times out of ten, I'm not even talking about whites and my original point gets lost and the conversation gets derailed. When yall do this, you're playing into power dynamics by placing your desire to be "educated" above what a Black woman is actually discussing. Thus, your non-Black feelings are prioritized and progress is stifled.

Also, I don't think yall realize how exhausting yall are. And quite frankly, you're not entitled to free labor, especially not from Black people. It is draining to constantly explain stuff that is so traumatizing. It's also annoying when yall expect us to drop everything and teach yall FOR FREE.

And one more thing; Google is literally right there and it's free. You're not a baby. You don't need Black people to hold your hand and walk you through racism. If you really wanted to be educated, you'd do the work, not have someone do it for you.

So unless yall giving out reparations or CashApping Black people, yall can leave us alone and do your googles.