Respectability Politics

by Jasmine

by Jasmine

Following the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota, protests have erupted throughout the United States and the world. But with activism and calls for justice comes bad takes and unsolicited opinions. Shameik Moore, star of Dope and Into the Spiderverse, is one of the few Black celebrities who decided to get on Twitter to share some thoughts that no one asked for. 

From this point on, I'll be referring to Moore as Shaolin Fantastic because I feel like it. Mr. Fantastic tweeted, "We have to work on our community before blaming everything on 'racist' and police ... there is STILL black on black violence that needs to be addressed..." He followed with "...in the MOMENT.. when we are experiencing racism.. can We the black community find ways to avoid being killed? Or hunted."

Shaolin isn't the only person with this opinion so I want to talk about why this line of thinking is absurd, idiotic, and absolves white people of accountability after literally murdering Black people. When Shao brings up "black on black crime" and tells Black people to act a certain way to avoid being killed, he's playing into respectability politics. 

I'm going to use Roxane Gay's definition of respectability politics which is "the idea that if black people simply behave in 'culturally approved' ways, if we mimic the dominant culture, it will be more difficult to suffer the effects of racism."*

Respectability politics is Bill Cosby telling young Black teens to pull up their pants so white people will treat them equally. Respectability politics is Barack Obama calling Baltimore protestors thugs and preaching personal responsibility to Black graduates. Respectability politics is Don Lemon telling the Black community to stop using the N-word. Respectability politics is Kendrick Lamar responding to Ferguson with "When we don't have respect for ourselves, how do we expect them to respect us?"

Respectability politics opens the door for people to blame victims and ignore the actual problem. It suggests that if Mya and Deana Cook simply didn't wear braids, they wouldn't have been suspended. Or Trayvon Martin would be alive if he didn't smoke weed. But the actual problem is that hair policies are discriminatory and George Zimmerman is a murder who was emboldened by white supremacy.  

Subscribing to respectability politics gets Black people nowhere because the gag is that racism doesn't care if you're dressed professionally or have multiple degrees or make lots of money or nicely ask for rights. If you Black, you Black and there are institutions that work together to oppress Black people.

Instead of bringing up bogus black on black crime statistics, think about how poverty, unemployment, and resource scarcity cause people to turn to crime. Rather than place the responsibility on Black people to avoid Covid-19, consider looking at income inequality, access to healthcare, and food deserts. Finally, instead of criticizing protestors for violence and looting then bringing up Martin Luther King Jr., don't forget that MLK was peaceful and wore a suit on Bloody Sunday when police beat him up. 

The problem with respectability politics is that systemic oppression is ignored and Black people become responsible for ending their own oppression by conforming to white ideals. Respectability politics allow for blame to be placed on Black people rather than institutions.

One of Shaolin Fantastic's final tweets was "I don't not fear for my life because I know how to carry myself in tuff situations." All I can say is that I no longer want to hear what Black celebrities have to say about what us lower class Black folks are doing. Open your purse or shut up.

*Roxane Gay Bad Feminist: Essays. 

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to comment and vote

I made an Instagram to go with this book

follow jasthefeminist for visuals to go with every chapter, fun facts, and random thoughts

the goal is to post at least three times a week starting next week and build community since Wattpad is trash

and yes, I will follow back