Why I Refused to Call Myself a Feminist

by Jasmine

by Jasmine

In the media, it is common to see feminists portrayed as hairy white girls who walk around with no bras. They usually call themselves sluts and are probably lesbians. For a while, this is what I believed to be feminism. I thought only white women could be feminists.

Then in 2014 Beyoncé chanced my concept of feminism for a moment with her iconic VMA performance. There she stood as Chimamande Adichie's voice told the world what a feminist is. I figured I'm definitely a feminist according to that definition. My curiosity was sparked. I decided it would be best for me to do some research before I start calling myself a feminist.

I learned about how suffragists pushed black women to the back during protests and how rarely the voices of black women were heard. It also seemed like white women who called themselves feminists during the 1960s and 1970s only cared about issues that directly affected them. Feminists don't seem to care about all women.

After all that research, I concluded that feminism is not for someone who looks like me. Beyoncé was tripping. Feminism sounded slightly racist and I was not with it.

Fast forward to my freshman year of college and there I was taking a women's studies course that I was super hesitant about. I already had my preconceived notions about feminism. Then my life changed forever. In walked the professor who was a black woman. I was very surprised.

I learned so much in that class. I found out that there are different feminist perspectives. I learned about black feminism and womanism. These applied to me. I felt connected to women like Kimberlé Crenshaw, who introduced intersectionality. I never realized feminism was so complex and can be inclusive. By the fourth week of the class, I was sold. I'm a feminist.

One thing I don't understand however, is why it took me so long to get to this point. I can't be the only woman of color who believed feminism was only for white women. I think something needs to be done. Everyone should be a feminist. But, how do we get everyone on board? I believe the first step is education.

Women's studies should be a course offered in all high schools. The number of high schools teaching women's studies is unclear, but "there are at least a few dozen nationwide." (Kearl,2015). A course like this can be eye opening for students of any gender. It can have a huge impact on future generations and how they handle issues.

I understand that adding courses to school is a long process. That's why we should start small. One idea is "incorporating it into history, English, and sex education courses." (Kearl,2015). Students at Elizabeth Irwin High School, a private school in Manhattan, who take an elective on feminism have found the class to be "transformational." (Kearl,2015).

Also, "as students enter middle and high school, it becomes even more important to bring gender into the classroom in order to address its role in issues including bullying and rape." (Blake,2015). In high school students become more aware of the world and gender roles become more prevalent.

A class about oppression and equality can change student's mindsets and help them become better people. Students will be able to understand why feminism is necessary and call themselves feminist. They'll learn that feminism is for everybody, not just white women.