Tik Tok

by Jasmine

by Jasmine

Tik Tok is a video sharing app that proves that Gen Z is just as racist as the generations before them. With over 500 million users, the app has created a new platform for people to go viral, become famous, and make money. As someone who is considered a young Millennial or an old Gen Z-er, I am aware that the app isn't for me but that won't stop me from scrolling through the for you page, in an attempt to fill the void that Vine left, and dragging white people whenever I see fit.

In the past few months, a number of popular non-Black boys have been exposed for using the N-word. There was one incident where a popular creator said the word while rapping along to a song and many have said it during live streams. And of course, there's the old tweets and texts. Then said creator apologizes after being caught and everyone moves on (until the same person says it again).

Basically, every Tik Toker with more than a million followers has said the N-word in some form or fashion and hasn't been negatively impacted because white people don't care.

I firmly believe that it is impossible to say the N-word on accident if you are not Black. If I can rap Nicki Minaj's Monster verse without saying a single curse word, you can skip the N-word Tanner. You also can't slip up and say the N-word in regular conversation unless the word is part of your everyday vocabulary. And one more thing, no one is entitled to forgiveness. The N-word is a slur and white people don't get to forgive those who use it. Forgiveness is up to Black people and this Black person isn't forgiving anyone who uses it. So from this day forward, Black people can legally fight any non-Black person who says it. It's the law.

Tik Tok is also riddled with digital blackface. Now you're probably asking yourself, "What is digital blackface?" Well, you're going to learn today. Digital blackface is when a non-Black person uses anti-Black stereotypes online. This includes using African American Vernacular English (AAVE) and sassy Black lady reaction GIFs on social media.

Some of the most popular trends on Tik Tok involve white teens perpetuating racist stereotypes for views and likes. The "Hot Cheeto Girl" is the latest trend to set me off. The Hot Cheeto Girl is the loud girl at school with laid edges, long nails, and an attitude. All she eats is hot cheetos and no one likes her. There's also the "Ghetto Girl" point of views where a white girl puts on a blackcent and talks to the viewer.

On Tik Tok, the Hot Cheeto Girl and Ghetto Girl are portrayed by white kids but everything about her is stereotypically Black/ Latina and offensive. First of all Hannah, you know you don't talk like that in front of your parents. These stereotypes have a hurtful history and they're harmful. Although they aren't painting themselves black like their grandparents did, white teens are performing their version of blackness like a minstrel show. They get to pretend to be Black for 60 seconds without dealing with the problems that Black people face every day.

Also, I would love for someone to research the mental illness that is white people pretending to be other races because no sane person does that.

The last thing I want to talk about is the weird sector of Tik Tok where white people think being attracted to Black people is a personality trait. Honestly, it's gross. Imagine fetishizing a group of people and thinking its cute. Once again, white people's attraction to Black people has a very uncomfortable history shaped by racism. These desires also put Black people in dangerous situations and prevent whites from seeing Black people as people rather than sexual objects.

I can go on for days talking about the white boys in du-rags and white girls laying their edges but I'll stop here. One thing that Tik Tok has taught me is that white people are going to be trash regardless of the app I'm on so I'm going to continue supporting Black people on all platforms.

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to comment and vote
p.s. a black girl created the renegade dance: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/style/the-original-renegade.html

here's a problematic tik tok: