Tekashi 6ix9ine

by Jasmine

by Jasmine

The first time I listened to the rainbow-haired troll's music was the last time I heard his music. Aside from the obnoxious yelling and about nothing lyrics, Tekashi 6ix9ine's use of "nigga" was all I needed to confirm that his music is not for me. After seeing that his songs were charting and his internet presence eas inescapable, I began to wonder why no one else had a problem that a Mexican was screaming the N-word everywhere. Was I being too dramatic? A liberal snowflake perhaps? I mean, Black people and Latinx people do live in close proximity, so naturally, we exchange some aspects of our culture, right? So what's so bad about 6ix9ine saying "Niggas iffy, uh."

Often, when discussing who should and should not say the N-word, the conversation surrounds white people because of... SLAVERY. It's a simple conversation yet white people are incapable of comprehending this because white people be white people-ing. But what about non-Black POC? Can they say the N-word? Yes. Should they say the N-word? Absolutely not. 

Despite Black people's reclamation of the N-word, it's still a slur. But, because of Black people's artistry and ability to make everything look cool, this country has, to an extent, become desensitized to the N-word. With Black culture being so ingrained in American culture, people feel entitled to participating in all aspects of black culture, i.e. saying nigga. This contributes to why all hell breaks loose when people use Chinese or Jewish slurs versus the N-word. 

You may have noticed my use of "non-Black POC" rather than "POC." I decided to do this because descendants of African slaves are on almost every continent because of... SLAVERY. So I'm not opposed to Afro-Latinos or Caribbean people saying the N-word.

So here's why 6ix9ine and other non-Black POC should not use the N-word. Like I said before,... SLAVERY. Slavery is why yall shouldn't say the N-word, period. The lasting implications of slavery include colorism and anti-blackness which exist in some form in every community. And because non-Black POC have not been subjugated to racist institutions to the same extent as my ancestors, they do not get to say a word that has kept Black people down for centuries.

Earlier I questioned if non-Black POC can say the N-word and I answered yes. I believe people can say whatever they want; but should they? Even though I've written this 436-word essay, 6ix9ine, other non-Black POC, and even the whites are going to continue to use the N-word. So I'm going to quote rapper Aminé and say, "If you ain't Black don't say it."

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to comment and vote ✨