One - The Funeral

I stand in front of the mirror, adjusting my dress when a knock sounds at the door

I stand in front of the mirror, adjusting my dress when a knock sounds at the door. I quickly wipe any tears from under my eyes, straighten out my hair and force a smile. I know it won't be convincing but I hope to god they pretend it is.

"Come in" I whisper. Apparently it was loud enough because Steve's head appears around the door a few seconds later.

"Hey, I know you wanted space but Wanda told me you hadn't ate anything yet today. I brought you some toast" he hands me plate of buttered toast and I smile. A genuine one this time.

"Thank you. But tell Wanda to keep her nose out of it next time. I'm not hungry" I laugh softly.

"She just cares" he smiles. He knows how close me and Wanda have become over the years. "We all care Andi"

"I know. And I appreciate every single one of you. I'm just not great at feelings and shit. You know that"

He nods and smiles. "Yes I do"

I understand the hidden meaning of it but choose not to bring it up. The situation between me and Steve has been confusing since the day we met.

I put the plate of toast down and turn back to the mirror. "He would've made fun of all of us for being dressed like this" I say softly.

"I know" he replies.

"I can't believe he's gone Steve" I choke out. My knees go weak beneath me and I feel myself falling. Before I have the chance to hit the ground, Steve's arms wrap around me and hold me close to his chest.

"Shhhh. It's okay Andi. I'm here" he whispers into my hair.

"I don't know if I can do this. I can't just say goodbye to him like that. I can't" I cry.

My chest feels tight as I fight to control my breathing.

"You gotta breathe Andi, come on. In and out. Follow me okay. In and out." He counts me through the breaths as I cling onto his shirt.

In and out.

Eventually I feel myself beginning to calm down. I relax into his arms. My head resting in the crook of his neck as I close my eyes. It's been a long time since I've been in Steve's arms like this but it feels good. It feels like home.

The compound no longer feels like home to me. Not since Tony and Nat died. I can't imagine myself living here without them.

I pull away from Steve, still in his arms but just far away enough so I can look into his eyes. "Thank you" I whisper.

"You never have to thank me Andi. You know how much you mean to me"