Three

*one day later*

*one day later*

I knock on his door and wait for a reply. His voice sounds quietly from the other side of the door. "Come in"

I push the door open and step into the room. Closing the door behind me. "Hey" I say softly.

"Hi" he pats the empty space on the bed beside him and I walk over. I take a seat and turn to face him.

"We should probably talk" I suggest.

He looks down at his hands which are resting in his lap. He's fidgeting, uncomfortable almost.

"Is everything okay?" I ask. Steve looks up and I can immediately tell that something is wrong.

"I'm not so sure this is a good idea anymore" he says slowly. The second those words leave his mouth, it's like someone just ripped out my heart. I take a deep breath and nod my head.

"I should have seen this coming" I mutter.

He shakes his head and sighs. "I never meant to hurt you Andi. You have to know that"

"I'm just confused. Why the sudden change? Things have been so great between us"

"That's just it. Things have been great but I now realise how irresponsible we are being" he adds.

"Irresponsible?"

"We're supposed to be a team Andi. If this turns into something more serious then we risk the lives of everyone around us. Suddenly it's no longer a teammate that I have to look out for, it's my girlfriend. I can't concentrate when you're around me. I'm too focused on making sure you're safe. I can't do my job properly when you're inside my head. This can't continue"

I can feel the tears begin to prick at my eyes. This cannot be happening. Doesn't he realise how untimely this is? My brothers funeral was 4 days ago and now he's breaking up with me. What's with that?

"So you really think that ending this now is the right thing?" I ask. He nods. "This doesn't change any feelings Steve. You're just delaying the inevitable"

"I'm not. I'm putting a stop to all this right now. No feelings, no drama. This can't happen"

I laugh. Which is something no sane person should do in this situation. However we all know by now that my sanity is somewhat questionable.

"This has got to be a joke"

"I'm serious Andi. I'm so sorry. I never wanted to lead you on"