Eleven

It's been an exhausting day. I practically collapse onto my bed and let out a deep sigh. I pull the covers up over me and snuggle into the bedding. My aching muscles after today's training session have been begging for the comfort of my bed this whole time.

I close my eyes and try to allow my mind to rest. I've been feeling all stressed and anxious ever since that phone call with Steve. Usually I would immediately turn to Wanda for reassurance however I know that telling her about Bucky being missing would only stress her out. She's lost so many people already. I can't tell her this. Not until I know for definite what's going on. I want to be able to sit her down and tell her all the information but I can't do that right now. Everything is very uncertain and I know that will only panic her.

It's killing me having to keep this from her. Especially as she's like my comfort blanket. She's who I typically go to for support when I feel like this.

I feel myself drifting off to sleep and allow my body to completely relax.

That's when the nightmare begins.

I feel my heart stop as I see everyone gathered around my brother. My axe falls to the ground with a thud as I feel my body go numb. I slowly walk forward. The crowd moves aside to let me through. I can feel eyes on me but all I care about is getting over to Tony before it's too late.

My legs feel weak as I take a few steps forward. A lump forms in my throat as my eyes finally lay on my brother. Pepper is crouched beside him, tears streaming down her face.

I freeze. I cant force my feet to move forward. As much I try, I am frozen to the spot. Unable to breath, unable to move. Just staring down at my brother in his last few moments.

Pepper spots me standing there and slowly looks up. Her eyes full of tears, she holds her hand out to me. I hardly know what to do.

"Andi" Pepper calls out through sobs.

This seems to be what pulls me back to reality. I slowly reach out and take her hand as she leads me towards him.

My mind takes over my body as I feel myself crouching down beside him. I reach a hand out to take his own. I'm taken aback by how cold his hands are. I take his hand between my own and hold it tight.

It takes a lot of courage to look up into his eyes. That's when it all finally feels real. Seeing the defeated look in his eyes tells me that this is it. "Oh god" I mutter through sobs.

I feel the tears pouring down my cheeks as I bring his hand up to my chest. Holding it tightly over my heart. "You mustn't leave me" I whisper breathlessly.

A hand comes to rest on my shoulder and I look up at Pepper through teary eyes.

"It's time Sweetie" she says gently. I shake my head. It can't be.

"This can't be it. His eyes are open. He's still breathing" I beg. I turn away from Pepper and look down at Tony. His hand is now limp within my own. I let out a heavy sob and bury my head in my hands. This can't just be it.

I feel some hands lightly shaking me awake. "Andi, Andi wake up. Shhhh it's okay. It's just me" Wanda whispers.

I don't realise how much the nightmare had affected me until I felt the wetness on my cheeks. I'm crying.