Cliché

"Wait, please!"

Draco's heart stopped. He stumbled over his own words, the vow hanging unfinished in the air. He knew who called out for him before he saw your face. He'd recognize your voice even if he was deaf, the sound of it resonating within him.

When the ceremony had started, he had searched for your smile amongst the crowd. When Mr. Greengrass walked his daughter down the aisle, nothing but pride and love written all over his face, Draco barely saw his bride. If you would ask him now, he wouldn't have been able to describe how Astoria looked on her wedding day. He avoided her gaze, scared of the dread that would creep up inside of him if he were to meet her eyes.

His mother sat in the front row, looking up at him. She had kissed him on the cheek just moments ago and whispered words of encouragement in his ear. He hadn't listened.

All he knew, all he cared about was, that you weren't here. You should have been here. Why didn't you come?

But you came.

Right when he recited his vows, holding Astoria's hands, the emerald on her finger shimmering in the sunlight, your voice cut through the summer air and for the first time today, Draco could breathe.

You stood in the middle of the aisle, your chest rising and falling heavily from running all this way. The dress you wore was dirty at the seams and it didn't seem to fit you right, as if you had thrown on the first thing you found in your wardrobe before rushing here. Yet, you were stunning and when your eyes locked with his, his heart stopped a second time.

This is wrong, the thought shot through Draco's mind and he instinctively let go of Astoria's hands. I can't do this.

It only lasted a second. Chaos broke out. Guests turned their heads in your direction, nervous whispers and deceitful mutters becoming louder and louder. Two security guards grabbed your arms and you yelped in surprise.

Draco stepped forwards but then he felt a hand on his wrist.

"Draco!", Astoria hissed. "What are you doing?!" The despair in her voice caused him to stop. She stared at him and suddenly the woman in front of him turned into the little dark-haired girl with whom he played hide and seek in her family's greenhouse, and then into the fifteen-year-old who burst in one evening when Daphne straddled his lap, looking irritatingly more hurt than either of them expected. He remembered afternoons at Hogsmeade and summers holidays spent together.

Astoria had always played a part in his life and even though she didn't love him, she needed him. Needed him to understand. To help. To guide her through a terrifying life. And Draco knew, he couldn't be that person for her.

"I need to talk to Astoria."

Their heads snapped in your direction.

"Excuse me?", his bride managed to get out, her voice shaking.

Murmurs rose up again. Draco saw his mother stand up from the corner of his eyes. "Y/N ..."

There was undefinable expression in your eyes. Draco blinked, not understanding what was going on. "You will have your bride back in a few moments, I promise. I only need to talk to Astoria."

"I highly doubt that you were invited here today, Ms. Y/L/N," Narzissa Malfoy said coldly. "I apologize for the rude interruption," she added with a glance at the Greengrasses.

"Please, I –"

"Miss, we are in the middle of my daughter's wedding." Mr. Greengrass. "I strongly suggest you –"