Honesty

A/N: Chapter 3! Hope you like it <3

***

It was weird being back at Hogwarts. Something about it still didn't feel right. After the war, it was unimaginable for you to come back here and finish school. But they took their time and closed it off for over a year. The school got rebuilt, the victims buried, the survivors tried to heal and move on. On the first anniversary of the end of the war, McGonagall – the new headmistress of Hogwarts – publicly announced that the school would open for the coming year and the seventh graders were given the chance to repeat their year.

You were excited about coming back and seeing your friends again, gaining a little bit of normalcy. School, homework, petty drama – you wanted nothing more than to be busy with all of those things. Yet something felt different when you stood in the Great Hall for the first time after your arrival. Something had changed. You had changed.

"You're daydreaming again, Y/N."

Ginny's voice pulled you back into reality. Your best friend sat across from you with her eyebrows raised, chewing on a croissant.

"Tired," you replied and smiled briefly.

"From what?", she asked. "You left super early last night!"

"Yeah, because it was super boring."

The redhead shook her head. "It was not! There was a fight between two Hufflepuffs and that's the best indicator for a fun party."

You chuckled. "Is it though?!"

"Or," suddenly she put down her croissant. A devious smile appeared on her face and she began talking with a lowered voice: "Did you leave the party early with your date to –"

"I beg you to not finish that sentence, please!"

Ginny laughed. "Oh come on! McLaggen is kinda cute!"

"He's awful."

"He doesn't need a good character to –"

"Ginny!" You playfully threw an apple at her. She caught it, laughing. "You're the worst," you said and shook your head.

Just when you wanted to change the topic, someone else started walked in. You stopped midsentence, staring at the couple who were coming down the hall, holding hands.

Ginny saw them too and she knew what you were about to do next. "Don't, Y/N," she said softly. "Stay here. At some point, you'll have to face them. They're our friends. He's my brother. We have classes together now."

You knew she was right. Yet, running away still seemed like a better option to you. Ginny sensed that, reached over the table and squeezed your hand. "Stay," she repeated.

Ron and Hermione sat down right beside you, cheerfully wishing you a good morning. You didn't reply but smiled at Harry instead who sat down next to Ginny and gave her a kiss. They were a cute couple and you were happy for the both of them. They finally found each other.

The four began to talk right away. It was still exciting to be in the same year as them, to finally share classes and spend so much time together. Well, not for you to be honest. You could happily live without seeing Ron every day.

You tuned out their conversation after a while, still debating whether or not you should leave the table. Your eyes drifted over the other students in the Great Hall and got stuck at the Slytherins. Not many people sat there as most of them had already finished breakfast. Before you knew what you were doing, you noticed he wasn't here.