Christmas

A/N: Thank you for reading and leaving comments! This means so much to me <3

***

You stood in front of the large mirror in the hotel room, looking at yourself and tucking on the long evening gown. Christmas was the one time your parents went all out and it was sort of a family tradition to get all dolled up and have dinner together. As a child, you used to love this. You'd spend the hours before dinner with your sister, trying on your mothers dresses, braiding eachothers hair and wearing lipstick that your mum would order you to wipe off as soon as she saw it.

As you became older, your sister and you grew apart. She started picking fights with your parents whenever she could, rebelling against everything they wanted her to do. So Christmas turned to you getting ready on your own and bracing yourself for the discussions that would start as soon as she appeared at dinner in jeans and an old shirt.

And now, she was gone.

You tilted your head, as you looked at yourself. The dress fit you perfectly and you didn't understand the nervousness that made you bite your lip and fidget with the straps. Maybe the reason for it could be found in the fact that for the first time in two years, you weren't alone with your parents at Christmas Eve. Or maybe it's because you had to introduce Draco Malfoy of all people to them. After all, when you came home the day before, your parents avoided the topic of your relationship completely. They asked about school, about your plans for the holidays but not with one word did they mention his name. It was truly irritating and made you unsure of what to expect from tonight.

You sighed and glanced towards the clock on the nightstand in your small hotel room. It was time to go. Your parents would already wait downstairs in the restaurant.

***

The restaurant was crowded. It was one of London's finest wizard hotels and you wondered how your parents managed to get a reservation so last minute – and you asked yourself why they chose such a public place. Shouldn't they be embarrassed to be seen with a former Death Eater? You reminded yourself to ask your father after dinner.

Your parents sat on the table in the middle of the room, talking quietly. They rose when they saw you, smiling warmly.

"Darling," your mother greeted you and hugged you tightly.

"You look beautiful, sweetheart," your father kissed you on the cheek.

"Thank you, so do you," you smile back at them. "Both of you."

After you sat down, your eyes wandered across the restaurant. Soft Christmas music played in the background, waiters ran around taking orders and bringing food, children were laughing loudly alongside their parents. Everyone looked so happy and content. It was amazing what this time of year could do to people. Your heart ached and you wished for a little bit of that peace for your family tonight.

"He's late."

Alright, that wish probably wouldn't come true.

"Honey," your father said to your mother in a calm voice. She was staring at the door with her lips pressed together, while her fingers tapped on the table. She's nervous, you thought and couldn't shake the smug feeling.

"He's not, mum," you replied finally. "We're ten minutes early. He's on time."

"On time is late."

You rolled your eyes.

Your father cleared his throat. „Well, I'm happy we get to meet him."

You looked over at him. "Are you?", you questioned.