Prologue

August 31st, 2000

"You lied for a whole year," Ginny stated after she heard everything you had to say for yourself.

You nodded, nervously playing with the edge of your skirt while waiting for a reaction. Anger, disappointment – you were prepared for everything. The reaction didn't come though. Instead, your best friend stared at her glass of wine, thinking calmly about everything you just told her.

"So why did you do it again?"

"To get back at –"

"– back at my brother, right," she finished your sentence. For the first time since you finished talking, she looked up at you. "Seriously, Y/N?"

"What?"

"I could think of a thousand better ways to get back at my brother than getting into a fake relationship with Malfoy!", she exclaimed. She almost spilled her wine by the sudden movement of her arm. "And none of it would have involved lying to all of your friends and then catching feelings for that ... that Death Eater!"

"He's not a Death Eater," you tried to defend him weakly. "Also I didn't catch feelings."

"Did you sleep with him?"

"Excuse me?"

"Did you sleep with him?", Ginny repeated her question.

You didn't answer.

"Great," she said sarcastically. "Are you jealous of her?"

Again, no answer.

"You're in love," Ginny concluded. "You're in love with freaking Malfoy."

"I'm glad you decided against becoming an Auror." You rolled your eyes and let out a sigh. "Besides, why aren't you laughing at me yet? This whole situation must be hilarious to you!"

"I'll laugh at you later. I'm too mad right now." Now she sighed as well. "What now, Y/N?"

"What do you mean?"

"What are you gonna do about it?"

"Nothing. He's getting married tomorrow."

"So what?" Ginny shrugged.

You looked at her in confusion. "What do you want me to do?"

"Crash the wedding."