Lies

"Y/N, wake up!"

You groaned when someone grabbed you by the shoulders.

"Wake up!"

"No," you mumbled sleepily and tried to turn around. It was way too early for this.

"Come, wake up, we're missing breakfast!"

Slowly you opened your eyes. Ginny sat in front of your bed, a stressed look on her face.

You groaned a second time before propping yourself up on your elbows. "What time is it?"

"Too late," she replied. You noticed that she was already fully dressed and ready to go. "McGonagall announced last night that everyone from grade six and seven who misses breakfast will get detention."

"What?" Now this just confused you. "Detention? For what?", you asked and yawned. „For missing breakfast?"

She nodded and pulled away your blankets, ignoring your sounds of protest. "Yes, for the party last night. Now, come on!"

The party. Malfoy. Oh, for a brief moment you forgot about what happened there.

Suddenly you were wide awake and got up in a swift motion. Ginny, who must have thought that you really didn't want to get detention, looked relieved though that you finally started to move. Hastily, you walked to the bathroom, grabbing some clothes on the way.

While getting ready, memories of last night came flooding back to you. The talk with Astoria, fleeing from Filch, hiding in that broom closet ... and the spider. You chuckled softly when you remembered how Malfoy jumped up and down while trying to get the animal off of him. Then your smile froze – you were his fake girlfriend now. Merlin, that sounded ridiculous; like straight out of some cheesy muggle romance novel. And the more you thought about this the more nervous you became. All sorts of questions raced through your head: How were you supposed to act? Was he going to acknowledge it today? Did he even still want to do it? Did people know?

The last questions got answered when you walked (or more precisely: ran) down to the Great Hall with Ginny. If someone in Gryffindor knew than she would have be aware as well – and if that were the case, she wouldn't care about detention or anything else. No, she would pepper you with questions. However, some of the Slytherins had overheard your conversation with Greengrass and Malfoy last night. So you guessed that it wouldn't take long before it would come out.

You were among the last students who arrived at the Great Hall, barely managing to take a seat at the end of the house table before the big door fell shut behind you. There was no food yet, everyone was sitting silently, looking at the teachers.

The teachers looked ... pissed. There was truly no other way to describe it. You could imagine how much homework you would receive in the next week simply by the way they glared at the students in front of them.

"I don't know what the big deal is," Seamus whispered from a few seats away, "it's not like this is the first party that went down in Hogwarts."

"Yeah," Dean nodded. "And nothing even happened!"

Then Headmistress McGonagall got up from her seat and slowly walked around the table. She had a stern look on her face. Before she began to speak, she cleared her throat. "I will make this announcement short but make no mistake: all of us are deeply, deeply disappointment by the behavior of the sixth and seventh graders last night. I am aware that this isn't the first time something similar happens in Hogwarts."

As if she had heard Seamus and Dean talking before, she let her eyes linger a short moment on them.

"You are young, you are far away from your parents and you want to celebrate life. You have every right to do so. Do not think that we haven't been aware of your little get togethers at the beginning of this school year. The past years have been trying times for all of us so we, the teachers, collectively decided to look away as we were certain it wouldn't go on for very long. But as Headmistress, I am responsible for my students well-being. I promised your parents to take care of you and after everything ... after everything we endured, I understand that there's nothing more important for them. Not only from dangers arriving from magic but from dangers arriving from your classmates," she paused. "Most of you who attended the party last night are old enough to drink. The younger students, especially the second and third graders, are not."