≋6≋

The day after that, in fact, many days after that, were dull and seemed to go exactly the same as before.

In the day, you would wake up early, rush out the door, and of course, Sabito wasn't there.

You'd get to school--you've started taking a long route around the building to avoid Ume and Gyutaruu, so you haven't seen Sabito or Makomo in the mornings at all for the past week

Then, you'd have your head down during all your classes. Some teachers noticed, but no one really knew how to help.

Usually, at the end of the day, you and your friends had nothing to say to each other. You'd all ride your skateboards together in silence. Makomo even gave up trying to make small talk, and Sabito stopped making crude jokes altogether.

And of course, every night you sat in the shower hugging your knees close, feeling the hot water warm your skin pleasantly; it was the closest feeling you could get to Tanjirou's presence.

At least, since there were so many complaints, the school finally sent you a new uniform.

Now, you are sitting on your bed with the crisp new uniform folded in your lap, staring blankly at it. What is the point?

It really is almost like Sabito is gone...like he's dead, even though he lives right down the street. Why? And how come I haven't seen the new kid in the last who-knows-how-many days? He said he would....

You lay back on the bed, feeling numb. You can't cry anymore.

It's Monday morning again. The more you think about it, the more you realize that you'll have to endure so many more before another summer comes.

The last time you looked at your phone it was 4 am, and it had to have been hours ago, so now you have no idea what time it is.

Just as your eyes start to feel heavy again, you jump at the sound of someone knocking on your window

Holy shit...is it an intruder?! Am I gonna die?

"Open the window loser!" Sabito's muffled voice called

You rush to open the window. You hadn't gotten up that fast since the first day of school.

"How did you get up here?!" You whisper, shivering at the gust of cold air hitting you

Behind him, the sky was still dark blue and cloudy. But there Sabito was, in the flesh, greeting you from your bedroom window on the second floor.

"Just because I hit my head once doesn't mean I can't use my limbs" He barked a laugh.

You watch him, a light blush tinting your cheeks. You really enjoy watching him laugh--it was a genuine smile you missed more than you knew.

"Why do you look so surprised?" He sighed, a smile still lingering on his face

"why?!--" You raise an eyebrow "You're outside of my window at like 6 am! I've been sitting here waiting for an explanation but you haven't said anything at all!"

Sabito blinks then casts his gaze down to his hands on the windowsill.

"I'm here because I wanted to talk to you about something"

You inhale, now completely alert

"Something's wrong, I know it. You're not okay, but all you do is mope in silence and you don't talk to us."

"It's been like this ever since I almost died that night. I don't know how to fix it, but every time I want to I feel like I'm grasping at nothing"