≋38≋

[[hey Outsider readers, been a while hasnt it? ;>  I felt horribleee leaving this story unfinished, and Im about to have some reallyy busy stuff going on in my life next month, so I decided to try and piece together the final scraps of this story for all of you. Thank you for sticking it through to the end with me, I appreciate all your comments and support! <3 enjoy]]

Wednesday Morning, 7:00 AM

        You roll onto your back, blinking away sleep only to be greeted by a bleary grey sky through the window across from your bed. After everything that's happened, daily routines don't feel so normal anymore--waking up feeling refreshed, your mind running through an imaginary checklist of things that needed to be done and grasping at essentially nothing, was alien to you. And yet you still felt that growing tension bubbling in your gut, telling you that something had to be wrong, because everything was going much too right.

It's 7 in the morning, and your alarm is about to go off in 5 minutes. This is your first time waking up before it.

You groan, using the free arm that had been dangling off the side of your bed to prop yourself up and take in your surroundings. You even decided to give yourself a minute of time for a breathing exercise that Rengoku's father had taught you in his martial arts class to help you get on your feet.

"inhale for seven..." you mumble, sucking in a deep breath and caressing the furred back of the stuffed rabbit plushie in your arm "exhale for eleven.." and out that breath came again after just seven seconds. You repeat this twice, and your heart beat slows, and just for a moment time stands still.

"and, up we go" you manage a small smile while getting out of bed, then fix up the bedsheets and place the rabbit neatly in the center where it would be comfortable. It was a gift from Sabito, afterall.

Across the room, the sight of your skateboard left untouched for so long tugged at your heart just the tiniest bit. A lot of things seem to remind you of the past nowadays, even things that shouldn't be sad.

Once the alarm finally went off, you began going about regular tasks in preparation for school and didn't really get much small talk in with your parents but, that was okay, you'd talk to them later.

You don't give it much thought, but after changing into your uniform, you slip the silver keychain Tanjiro gifted to you months ago into the breast pocket of your shirt closest to your heart. You'd never placed it there before.

 Everything felt just fine until your phone buzzed and you read the text message on the screen.

Sabito🙄: I'm outside :)

Your eyes blow wide at the message, and a strange fluttery feeling fills your chest

You shut your phone back off and pace over to the window with haste, catching sight of the peach-haired boy. He's waiting for you by that same tree where you swore you would do anything to protect him and Mako. Idly, you wonder where she is right now. If you could somehow send her a message through your brain and telepathically connect, you'd tell her that Sabito was doing just fine, and that he's waiting for you downstairs. And that it isn't the same without her waiting there too.

You flung the window open and caught the gentle breeze that slightly tussled your hair out of place as it blew by

"SABITO," you call "UP HERE"

His head shot up to catch your eye

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" You ask

Instead of yelling back, Sabito pulls his phone out of his pocket and sends you a message. You're quick to grab your phone as well, mostly out of mild embarrassment.