{47} Juvie

For the last couple of days Carter had been really quiet and I can only assume it's because of what Al told me. In fact the whole house had been silent, which is really weird considering there is normally always some commotion.

But today he was really bad. He hadn't spoke a single word to anyone.

"Can we go to the library?" He asked in a quiet voice.

"Yeah course we can." I was shocked he spoke to me let alone asked me to go somewhere.

"We'll go in five minutes." 

Before we left I knocked on Al's door. 

I heard a weak, "Come in."

I frowned at the sight before me. He sat staring into nothing with hollow eyes but tears streamed down his cheeks. I look in his lap to see a photo album.

"I'm going out with Cart. Do you need anything?" I asked taking a seat at the edge of his bed.

"No."

"Right well give me a call if you need anything."

I checked on Danny next. I felt bad I hadn't spoke to Danny since the day me and Carter had that screaming match but I haven't seen him anywhere. He always seemed to be gone. 

He had already started to drink. "Do you need anything?" I asked softly.

"More alcohol." I watched as he downed the rest of the bottle. I really didn't want to leave him in such a state.

"Are you sure you should be drinking?" He shook his head no. I'm happy he wasn't an aggressive drunk or else this would've been difficult.

"Why don't you try get some rest? You look tired." He gave a solemn nod and laid down. I moved him on his side and put a bin next to him. "If you feel sick use this bin yeah."

"Thanks Sarcletts," he slurred patting my hand fondly before letting it rest on his side. I refrained from telling him my name wasn't 'Sarcletts'.

I walked downstairs to see Carson making a cuppa looking lost in his thoughts.

"Carson you alright?" He didn't seem as heartbroken as the rest but he might of just been good at hiding his emotions.

"As good as can be. I was very close to Liv but these guys looked up to her like a mother."

"Well I hope you feel better. I'm going out with Cart." 

He saw the reluctance on my face and commented, "I'll keep an eye on Al and Danny you go with Kota."

.

.

We sat in the library not saying anything but I hoped my presence was enough for him. His head rested on my collarbone as my hand rubbed his back. 

"Her name was Oliva," he croaked out after an hour. "But we called her Liv, except Al of course. She passed away on her birthday." 

I gave an acknowledging hum and spoke, making sure to keep my tone soft. "What was she like?"

"She was my Ella and more. She was the only mother figure I ever had in my life but I couldn't of asked for a better one. She took us all under her wing. She even adopted Danny. 

Liv was the perfect mom. You could literally tell her anything and she wouldn't judge. All she wanted from us was to make sure we were safe. The amount of times she stayed up at night with me when I had a nightmare about my life was ridiculous. She helped Carson when he was going through his rough patch.

I had taken my times with her for granted, assuming she'd always be here.

She always very soft spoken so when she shouted at us it was hilarious. She always knew the right thing to say. You kind of remind me of her."

"Heh? In what way?"

"Your just like the more hard headed version of her."

"Well she sounds great then," I joked.

"She was. You two would've gotten along well. At first she might have been stand-offish with you, she was very protective of us all, but she'd warm up to you. I know she would. In fact even when she was being stand-offish she probably would have liked you and just didn't want to admit it." We both smiled fading into silence again.

"Carson doesn't like when I come here. I normally end up freaking out and being destructive. I do dumb shit just because I'm pissed."

"What makes you freak out?"

"This was her library. Being in here it comforts me but I normally end up punching a car window after."

"But you were fine when we came the last time?" I asked confused.

"Cause I had you here and probably because I was talking about my biological parents not Liv," I ran my hand through the front of his hair as he spoke.

"I need to tell you something," he whispered out of the blue like it was a big secret.

"What is it?"

"I'm gonna tell you why I went to juvie."