Bonus chapter {3}

Dakota's POV

I couldn't bare staring into her watery eyes as she screamed over the phone to her mom. Scarlett's and her mom's relationship had been going down the hill for months and now was the breaking point. They'd either find out a way to deal with things together or they would never speak to each other ever again. By the looks of it the former option didn't seem like it was happening any time soon.

"Don't try blame this on me, I didn't do anything. You are the one that's been pushing everyone away," Red scoffed. Her cheeks were flushed but I didn't feel any of my usual satisfaction. I felt like I could visibly see her heart break into two pieces and I hated it more than anything in the world. I didn't know how to help her.

"And then you wonder why Kol broke up with you. You've turned into someone else Aubrey. You were never like this. What happened?" I walked up to her when her voice started cracking, ready to end this stupid phone call that was causing nothing but pain. 

I had always felt bad for Aubrey. She went through so much shit. Shit that she didn't deserve, no one did but that was no excuse to start treating your only daughter like shit, almost ten years later.

At one point I thought she was a great mom. You have to be strong to be able to go on with life after what happened to her. But now I could only see her as the bitter person she is. 

It's simple as, she's hurting Scarlett so I hate that bitch. You can hurt me, do whatever you want to me but you do not fuck about with my girlfriend.

"I tried to do as much for you as I could. I'm sorry I wasn't good enough. I hope you have a happy life without us. Fuck you mum!" Red screamed into the phone before slamming it down.

I caught her as she fell, sliding down the wall. She curled into a ball on my lap, sobs racking her body. I silently rocked us back and forth until her sobs calmed down.

"I just want my mum back," she cried.

"I know baby. I know," I whispered holding her close to me. 

"A-and think about Eli. He's going to be crushed. You've already seen how devastated he's been." Her heart was made out of gold and I don't know why her mom couldn't see that.

"We'll worry about him later okay. You don't need your mom in your life. You've got us. Danny. Al. Carson. Me. You don't need her and she doesn't fucking deserve you."

"But if I don't help her who is gonna?" Her mom had started to go out, partying like she was in college. Snorting any substance she could find. It was disgusting.

And I was never all that close with Kol but I had spoken to him on numerous occasions, he was a nice guy. He treated Aubrey like a fucking queen and she cheated on him. Fucking shattered his heart. We tried to talk to him but he said he couldn't be involved with any of us, which was understandable. I can only hope Scarlett never breaks my heart like that.

"This was her own fucking fault. She's made her bed she can fucking lay in it."

"She's not well Carter."

"She can make her own decisions. She was completely sober when she started to ruin her life so I don't know what you want me to say. Want me to chuck her in rehab? Cause I will if it makes you happy. I just don't think you should speak to her again." Aubrey wasn't an addict per say but she was probably getting there.

"She probably never wants to speak to me again," she said glumly.

"Take it as a positive thing. Baby every time you speak it ends in tears, it's not healthy."

"But she's family. Your not supposed to drop them when things get tough."

"You've been trying to help her for months Red. You can only do so much. You shouldn't be spending the rest of your life checking up on someone who doesn't even want to talk to you. If she really wants to speak to you again she'll reach out and you can see where you go from there." I didn't realise how harsh I'd been until I saw tears stream down her face at a faster rate.