Chapter Fifty-Two: New Ideas

Sadeene looked at the dark sky as a fork of lightning arced to a nearby mountain crag. Thunder filled the air as the bolt dissipated into the rocky mass in a bright white glare.

Beneath the dark clouds, Bemenah's minions labored as they moved tons of rock and soil. A series of tunnels were now being dug in the ground and rock in preparation for the alliance force's arrival. Their hard work was a concerted effort to hinder the enemy's troop movements across the landscape. The peaceful forest, lush lowlands, and rocky heights were a carefully designed series of death traps.

It would take weeks to construct the thousands of traps he had ordered. Nyen engineers had altered the bridges to collapse when he gave the instructions to destroy them. Scattered across the high hills and mountain peaks, large wood stores were stacked, ready to be burned to create signal-fires.

Throughout it all, Sadeene monitored everything with a critical eye. The black dragon watched tens of thousands of Nyen, Kang, and Giants working tirelessly to do his bidding. As they did so, thousands of Slyyth planted undergrowth to serve as cover to conceal their work. The deadliest troops would create chaos and carnage with the alliance army, exacting the bloodiest price per step.

An aged rotund Nyen timidly approached Sadeene with a bowed head. It pleased Sadeene to see General Sagu approach with a measure of respect. The general served to keep the black dragon informed of current progress and the latest news from their spies.

"I have news from Port Anabelle,
Commander Sadeene. The spies report that the enemy's progress in building their fleet is advancing steadily. The Audumorda spies have been warned not to hinder the human scum in any manner or reveal their own
presence," General Sagu reported.

"That is good; Bemenah does not want the enemy to discover that we are waiting for them. Is the  fleet that will be blockading Port Annaselle suitably equipped to provide a gauntlet of force against the enemy?" Sadeene asked.

"The ships are in good repair, and the men are eager to bleed 
the enemy. They are waiting for the enemy to set sail; they promise a bloodbath once they meet. It is only the beginning of what the enemy will face," Sadeene replied with a deep rumbling laugh.

After General Sagu left, Sadeene stepped into the massive polished-black temple and approached the blood-red pool. For a moment, the black dragon stared; his thoughts momentarily created a disturbance on its calm surface.

Sadeene concentrated on the blood-red stone set into its polished black rim. "Master, your servant, awaits thee," the black dragon said.

The smiling face of Bemenah's black scaly face appeared on the surface of the red pool. "What do you have to report on the progress we have made on Magdenar. Will the battlefield be prepared for when the enemy army steps ashore," asked the
God, Bemenah.

"It is fast taking shape, per your commands. Everything will be ready and waiting for our enemies when they arrive. The lush, peaceful land will have thousands of concealed traps and will lie waiting for their forces. Their March across Magdenar will be measured in dead bodies and countless thousands of wounded," said Sadeene with a chuckle.

"What do the Audumorda spies have to report from Port Annaselle?" asked Bemenah as he studied Sadeene's face for looks of deception. He was pleased to see that there were none.

"The spies have reported that the alliance is building their fleet at a steady pace. The spies have all been warned to keep concealed and monitor the enemy's progress only while they build their fleet," Sadeene reported.

"Good, good, it is vital that our foes remain uninformed of what awaits them on Magdalena. We want to crush our opponent's morale, the traps, and our army will sew ruin in their assault," Bemenah said.