Chapter Sixty-Three: Bold Moves

Donovan studied the forest before him; the dew-laden air had created veils of moisture that appeared within the trees. Darters and birds cried a greeting to the rising sun in a simple way.

Before Donovan stood rank upon rank of armored linemen that were ready-to-tear their foe's cavalries asunder, behind them were archers with their bows, pavise crossbowmen, and pavise arbalesters.

Ever the backbone of the army's front-line, thousands of men-at-arms and armored axemen stood rank and file. Their sharpened steel weapons gleamed in the early sunlight, ready to sew ruin in the dark filth they would encounter.

Donovan inspected the troops of the allied army as a thing of beauty. As he passed them by, the king nodded his head repeatedly as he gave them the honor they were due. With a source of pride, he reviewed their men and women; each was a battle-tested soldier that had endured a great deal from the enemy, and we're still standing.

Thunder and Donovan advanced to the forefront when Donovan's voice filled the air. "We are gathered here today, as Mankind's defenders; we fight for the right to exist, as well as the rights of our children to live free. Let no man say that our bond between friends or allies has faltered; instead, it is marked with our unified resolve to fulfill Elliana's dream for us. Around you stands the greatest army that exists; it stands not because one man willed it so, it stands because every man desires that Elliana's dream shall become a reality with our people," Donovan's powerful voice echoed in the air.

Donovan continued his speech with a masterful touch. "As you march into battle, know that you fight as a brother that proudly states humanity will rule Aederan. The enemy, though formidable, shall hear the thunder of thousands of shod feet; and there shall be no place for them to hide, as mortal men fight the evil which taints these lands. Steel yourselves; for the victory that approaches, is bound in the ancient ties to our people's ancestors, let us match and fight with a purpose," Donovan ended his moving speech while pointing his sword to the forest before him.

With a thunderous roar, their army moved forward as one massive shining gigantic metallic entity. Trumpets blared, filling the air, announcing the beginning of the allied army's assault.

"I rather think you outdid yourself with that moving speech. It struck just the right tone that our soldiers needed to hear," Maska said to Donovan in praise.

"Yes, well, if words alone won battles, then we would destroy the enemy handily. However, we march with a purpose, which is to drive an old enemy from our lands. We will win this war only through our bravery, stamina, and a stubborn refusal to yield before Bemenah's evil armies," Donovan stated with a conviction that spoke volumes.

The enemy had moved troops before dawn; the activities last night had undoubtedly prompted a retaliatory strike from their dark forces. The enemy troops fired a cloud of arrows and crossbow bolts from the trees; the feathered shafts smote ruin among the approaching pikemen, who continued to charge forward. As the pikemen left their brothers in arms behind, Donovan ordered that allied archers, pavise crossbowmen, and their pavise arbalesters open fire.

A withering barrage of feathered death rained down upon the thousands of Nyen who had no shields to hide behind. Fresh reinforcements replaced the dead thousands of Nyen archers. The sky darkened; as the arrows of both sides decimated the ranks of both sides.

Here, the allied cavalries would be ineffective, as the trees prevented a concerted charge, thereby presenting the armored horsemen as fodder to the enemy's pikemen and those wielding a blade.

Donovan wisely chose the ranks of men-at-arms and armored axmen to drive the enemy bowmen before them. As the armored soldiers broke the ranged attackers' impasse, Giants' that we're heavily armored and wielded, massive iron double-bladed axes entered the fray.