Chapter Thirty-Six: Lingering Death

As the invasion of Sylon continued deeper into the city thousands of Kang, Nyen, and male Slyyth scattered. The chaos this created was absolute, the enemy were literally everywhere. To make matters worse there were no defensible lines, thus communication between the allied forces was now impossible.

Changa and hundreds of other Centaurs and mixed cavalries had become lost. They had seperatd and were embroiled in a battle with an uncounted force which poured out of the surrounding buildings.

In a flowing motion Changa retrieved his bow and quickly knocked a arrow, sending it on its way. His arrow struck a Nyen full in the chest before he could shoot, sending him falling to the ground below. Merca, a young Centaur staggered to the side as two crossbow bolts slammed into his chest. He collapsed with a wild-eyed scream, and vanished in the confusion.

The situation had become desperate, Changa drew his bowstring back and shot a Nyen who had killed a horseman. His arrow struck the Nyen in the side, who then collapsed. Slowly, the archers amoung them were thinning the enemy's archers. Meanwhile, Nyen, Kang, and male Slyyth were assaulting them with iron swords, axes, and spears.

The ground was littered with the bodies of the enemy, as well as fallen cavaries. Changa drew his sword, blocking a sword blow from the side. He reared-up and lashed out with his forelegs, stunning the Kang. He met the beast's attempt to recover with a vicious slash which severed its carotid artery. Crimson sprayed outward to cover his armored chest, who then fell clutching at his throat.

Aeteh met an overhead swing of a sword with his shield, lunging forward with his own blade. His sword pierced the Nyen's chest whose eyes bulged as he exhaled bloody froth and fell.

"Changa, the enemy is determined to stop us here, we need to resist all efforts to herd us," Aeteh shouted. The enemy was indeed trying to drive them into a cluster that where they would not be able to defend themselves. Horsemen armed with war hammers were busy   spiking or crushing the skulls of the enemy. Nyen, Kang, and male Syyth were falling in droves, which served to lessen the pressure, somewhat.

Changa sheathed his sword and replaced it with a fighting spear. In this crowded battle, the weapon served him a lot better. He operated the spear in a blinding series of thrusts that found gaps in armor and over the enemy's shields. Changa fought like a wild-man as blood spattered him from head to toe.

They managed to drive the enemy back, resisting the urge not to panic. "Form-up, shoulder to shoulder, cover the flank of the man beside you, do not let the enemy behind you," shouted Aeteh.

Though swirls of acrid smoke they fought onward, staving off the enemy's advance. It was far easier to defend a given stretch of the battlefield than being attacked from everywhere at once. Changa's spear darted out to find a chink in a Slyyth's armor and send him crashing to the ground.

"Damn, they just keep coming, stand firm, we have to stop them from getting through. You let them pull you down and your dead," Changa shouted to no one in particular.

Their cavalries pushed foward, creating a little more space between them. They were able to advance a little down the avenue, a great deal of the enemy had vanished.

Arrows and crossbow bolts again slammed into their ranks, so Changa retrieved his bow and nocked an arrow. He downed a Nyen in a hurry to fire his crossbow at them. His arrow struck the Nyen in the chest, causing him to spin off the rooftop.

Others began to use their bows and crossbows, bringing down enemy soldiers from greater range. The enemy had chosen to forsake this part of the city, inadvertently giving them a breather. Around them were several wounded that were barely able to stand or remain seated upon their horses.