Part Six: Moving On

King Donovan was patiently waiting for Brenna's return, Maska had informed him of her attempt to find their spy. If she was successful, it would hamper any attempt to monitor their movements. Her success would mean they would advance unseen by the enemy, and reposition their forces.

The temperature was already starting to rise, indicating another hot day. King Donovan was anxious to be on the move. Suddenly, there was a rush of feathers, as a henna hawk landed before him. Brenna's sudden arrival startled both Maska and King Donovan.

The henna hawk had killed a red floxer that she had found. There was a small gold chain that held a little ruby around the birds neck. In a flash of feathers, Brenna broke the delicate chain. Immediately, the small bird turned into a petite swarthy young woman. Abruptly, Brenna transformed back into human form before them.

"You, my friend need to work on your approach, to frighten us to death would not simply do at all," Maska said with a smile.

"I am sorry. I found her in a high tree perched upon a leafy bough. She was also very crafty, I found her after she had sent some message to her superiors. I believe I will start searching for any replacements that they send to replace her, every day." Brenna informed Maska and King Donovan.

"This is certainly good news, it is time that we are able to move without being observed by the enemy. The day is young, we need to break camp, and see what lies ahead," King Donovan said.

Two hours later, they started to move forward and three hours after that they were confronted by a wide river. A bridge had existed at one time, but had been set on fire some time ago. Only blackened log pillings existed, sticking above the existing level of the river.

"Mathew, what are our options to handle this new problem of ours?" King Donovan asked.

"I really need to get a closer look at what we are facing, before I can answer you," Mathew replied as he looked at the river before them.

They watched the man pull off his jerkin, he walked down to the waters edge, and jumped in and began swimming to the first pair of pilings.
For about five minutes, Mathew inspected the burned tops of the pilings, then turned and swam back to them.

Mathew returned back to them with a smile. "The enemy acted a little hasty, they set fire to the bridge when the river was higher. We can use the existing pilings to build our new bridge, which will save us a lot of time. I will get the rest of the men, to start working on this, right away."

Since, they were forced to come to a halt, King Donovan had ordered everyone to make camp. They were starting to make good time, hours later the were already hoisting a large cross-member into place.

The supporting structure of the bridge then began to steadily progress. By evening, the first planks were being bolted in plaasce. Donovan and Maska walked over to a nearby fire and retrieved a bowl of dried beef and vegetables. After retrieving two flat breads, Donovan sat down.

"We are in a position that is going to delay us considerably, I do not like us being exposed like this. But, what can we do, every delay has served to give the enemy more time," King Donovan said.

"Yes, your right about that. Right now, were forced to play their game, by their rules. Each time, we end up holding the short string, were going to have to change that," Maska stated.

"Agreed," King Donovan replied.

Afterqq enjoying the warmth of the fire, King Donovan excused himself and returned to his tent. Morgan had already went to bed, to get a full night's sleep. It would be a long day tomorrow, King Donovan realized as he crawled into his bedroll.