Chapter 18: Three months later

Y/N POV:
Living in Wakanda gave me a peace. A peace I had never know. It was like I'd been completely altered by my recovery. The teachings of Wakanda were pure and noble. I learnt control, not of my power as such but of my mind. Before the teachings I was erratic, impulsive and lacked self awareness. It had been three months. Shuri assured me that her work was done. My mind has been descrambled. I started to remember those triggering words. I was placed in a bunker a safe place for me and for others so they could use them causing me to shift into this awful being. When I was changed they'd use images of Wanda and my family to retrain my brain. Anytime those words were used I would think of them the way they care for me that I must not hurt them or any other person. I must remove myself from the situation.

I had not spoken to Wanda since our tearful goodbye here 3 months ago. I'm unsure whether she's still waiting for me. If she's not that's something I will have to learn to accept. She needs a safe person in her life. Someone who can protect her and love her without worry of powers hurting her. The people of Wakanda have taught me a lot but I still fear my own actions. Shuri assured me that is normal. That I was recovering well. I would be in control of myself. But I was terrified of losing her again. She means everything to me. Do I go back to my family? Do I go back to HQ? I had no idea what I was going to go back to. Will she still love me? Would they still be my friends?

Shuri had given me so much so as a thank you to the people of Wakanda I had helped with building whatever they needed. They tried to avoid any combat while I was here worried I would find it too triggering. Today they were going to show me footage of when I was taken to see if I was finally ready to go home. This was going to be my biggest test. The one to see if I was safe enough to go back to her, to everyone. Whether I was worthy enough to be an Avenger.

"Are you ready Y/N? If you're not we can wait," Shuri asks me. I'm back in the vibranium bunker to ensure my safety and theirs.
"I'm ready." On the screen in front of me I see warehouse footage of them trying to take Wanda.
"Y/N how does this make you feel? Are you ok to continue?" Shuri asked me pausing the footage.
"I miss her. I was scared for her safety but I guess I saved her. I can continue." She nodded pressing the play button.

I saw me speed in taking out the final few guys checking on Wanda before the second truck pulled up. They were pulling Wanda into their truck. I pulled her out of the truck she hit her head so couldn't rescue me. I was alone. I was trapped. I recall how I tried to wriggle free but I was
outnumbered they had electrocuted me into submission while I was in the truck before placing those handcuffs on me. They took my ear piece stamping on it. I knew I had a tracker in my suit but they had something in the truck interfering with it.
"Y/L/N are you ok? How does that make you feel?" She asks me.
"I didn't realise why she couldn't help me. She'd hit her head while I tried to rescue her. It makes hurts me to think that I hurt her but I was saving her," I say truthfully. They switch off the footage and Shuri comes down to talk to me.

"You have made great progress here. When you first arrived you were hurting yourself at the memories of the things that you had done when you were not in control. Now you recall them and know how you must proceed. You have taken our teachings onboard. We have descrambled your mind. You are at peace. I think you are ready to go home," she says sitting down in front of me.
"Thank you for everything. You have given me hope when I thought all was lost. I owe you my life. Whenever you need anything please let me know," I reply gratefully. She smiled taking me back to my room to collect my belongings. Okoye is waiting for me in my room. She has been a mentor of mine when she could be.
"I hear you are leaving. It has been an honour to teach you," she tells me.
"Thank you Okoye. You have taught me more than I could have ever wished," I explain to the woman smiling at her.

Okoye and Shuri take me down to where a jet is parked. Bucky runs down to greet me. Before he can say anything I hug him I was eternally grateful for the help he got me. He looked me deep in the eyes checking for any signs of the darkness he knew only too well.
"They really do work miracles here don't they," he said to me. I nod my head smiling. We both enter the jet and I sit next to him as he flies us home.
"How is she?"
"She hasn't left your Cabin since it happened. When we've gone on missions Rhodey would join us and Danvers has been back a lot so has been watching over Wanda. Sometimes she lets her take food inside and leave immediately or she doesn't even let us near the front door. Carol says she had your jar open with the notes on the table," Bucky explains. It hurt to think of her like that. I never wanted her to feel alone.
"Your buddy Jordan came over a few times. He was the only person she would let stay inside with her. Nothing she told him he shared with us. From the looks of it they would just sit talk about you and cry. She needs you Y/L/N." That was hard to hear I never wanted to upset either of them but I'm coming home now and I'm not going away again.

I must have fallen asleep as before I knew it we had landed at HQ. As I leave the jet I see Monica, Peter and Sam waiting for me. They all give me a group hug.
"It's good to have you back Y/L/N," Sam said. I smiled. Peter somehow looked taller or more grown up. It looked like he was trying to grow some facial hair.
"It's good to see you Peter. I hope you've been looking after MJ. Nice bum-fluff bro," I joked with the man boy in front of me. Instead of responding he just hugged me. I looked at Monica you could see the tears see was holding back.
"I hear Danvers has been here a lot. What's her hair like?" She does not respond instead she just holds onto me. They all walk me to just outside the cabin.
"You ready?" Bucky asks.
"As I'll ever be," I say taking a deep breath before knocking on the door.