Chapter 28

Y/N POV:
It's been a month since we left Bucky in Wakanda. It was sad but necessary. Rhodey came to help us on missions as and when we needed it. Carol and Valkyrie had been around a lot. We were actually going on a double date with them today. They were such a fun couple to be around. We liked having some normality. Carol looked online for fun things to do so we decided to try Topgolf. Carol and I were both competitive so I'd been going to the driving range a lot to make sure I could beat her. Wanda always kept me company. In reality she spent a lot of time checking me out. I could tell cause I could feel her staring at me. She hit the odd ball but not much more than that.

It was nice to be going out and I could wear what I would usually do around the cabin. I wore my football shirt and some jeans. Wanda wore the same as we were playing as a team. It was Carol and Valkyrie against Wanda and I. I was just hoping that if we did lose Carol wouldn't be too unbearable.
"What's the rules again?" Wanda asks me as we walk to the foyer of HQ.
"There are circular targets you've got to get the ball in one of those targets. The closer to the centre of the circle the more points you get. The further you hit it the more the points increase too as long as you hit the target. For you just chip the ball into the first two sets of targets to get points consistently," I explain.
"Ok I guess that makes sense," she says. I kiss her gently with my arms round her waist.
"You just agreed to golf to check me out again didn't you?" I asked her. She started to laugh nodding her head. I roll my eyes.
"As if you don't check me out when we're on missions and whenever I wear red," she quips back. She's got a point there.

We get to the foyer and Carol and Valkyrie are already in the taxi waiting.
"You ready to lose Y/L/N?" Carol challenges me.
"Don't bet on it Danvers."
"Remind me why we agreed to this again?" Valkyrie asked Wanda.
"I don't know but they're going to be unbearable," Wanda responds. Carol and I look at them offended but we both knew they were right.

Wanda's POV:
When we arrived it was quite busy. Our bay was going to take about an hour to be ready. We decided to get some food while we were waiting. All of us ordered burgers and chip with onion rings to share. We ordered some cocktails too.
"So are you guys official yet?" I ask Carol. They look at each other both nodding and shrugging.
"Yeah," they said in unison.
"How romantic," Y/N says making us all laugh. The food came quickly and we just laughed at how casual Carol and Valkyrie were about becoming girlfriends. When our bay was ready you could feel the shift in tension. Y/N and Carol both started to psych themselves up. They looked ridiculous. Valkyrie and I looked at each other as if to say help.

When we get to the bag the taunting began between Y/N and Carol.
"I would say ladies first but,"Y/N starts trash talking Carol.
"It's ok we'll go first you might learn a thing or two," Carol shoots back.
"Waiter can we get 3 shots of vodka each for us two and another round of cocktails please," Valkyrie asks.
"We're going to need it," I laugh. As soon as the shots arrive Valkyrie and I do two straight away saving the others for when they inevitably get more competitive.

Carol and Y/N get the same scores every round for the entire game. It was up to Valkyrie and I's final turn to determine who wins. Carol was mounting the pressure on Valkyrie it was really funny.
"Come on we cannot lose to them. Please Val," she begged her.
"You know you're not helping right?" She responds. Carol rolls her eyes in frustration downing the rest of her cocktail. She watched Valkyrie's turn through her fingers. She really cared about the win. Meanwhile Y/N just had her arm around me smiling.
"It doesn't matter what happens. I just know I've already won. Carol doesn't get to wake up to you every morning and witness your smile with your adorable scrunched nose like I do," she whispers in my ear kissing me on the cheek sweetly.
"Don't worry baby I've got this," I whisper back smiling at her.

Valkyrie gets the ball in the first target getting her 4 points. I knew I could beat that and if I was going to win I was going to win big. When we went to the driving range previously and Y/N went to the toilet I took a few goes and this guy gave me some pointers. Turns out I was actually pretty good. I made out to Valkyrie I was pretty bad so that she'd go easy on me playing that way today. Stepping up to the tee I took a deep breath smashing the ball straight into the centre of the third target earning me 10 points. Y/N cheered whilst Carol facepalmed.
"Holy shit that was amazing ," Y/N cheers. She spins me around in a hug.
"I told you I had it," I smirk before kissing her lovingly.

We walk back downstairs to head to the car park hand in hand. I thought I heard someone say "That's just wrong" at us holding hands. Y/N let's go of my hand heading straight in that direction with Carol next to her squaring up to some scrawny guy with a tracksuit on who was clearly drunk and didn't know how to handle it.
"What did you just say?" Carol asks. I could see
Y/N's anger. I head over quickly taking her hand to calm her down giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.
"Nothing," the guy said embarrassed.
"It sounded like you said 'that's just wrong'. So it's wrong to love someone now is it?" Y/N asks him. Valkyrie was one step ahead of us already calling the manager over explaining the situation to him.
"Excuse me sir we would like you to leave," the manger tells him.
"This is ridiculous," he mutters grabbing his coat leaving the premises. The manger apologises to us offering us free games on our next visit. We thanked him graciously before leaving.

When we get to the parking lot the bigot was waiting for us outside.
"Stupid dykes," he shouts at us. We ignore him but he wasn't having it. The man grabs Y/N by the shoulder. He tries to swing for her that was a mistake. She grabbed his hand pinned it behind his back pushing him away. She was actually very lenient. Carol wasn't going to let him get away with that. He started coming for Y/N again so Carol head butt him leaving him on the floor with a gushing bloody nose as he deserved.

We got in the cab. Y/N was calmer now but you could see she was upset. We had a great night but it was tainted by that moron. I kiss her on the cheek. She snuggles into me starting to get teary.
"It's ok my love," I whisper in her ear.
"I'm sorry I don't mean to get upset. It's just we finally get a normal night out together and it's ruined by homophobia. It's been legal for 10 years why are people still like this?" She asks.
"I don't know but I'm proud of you for not retaliating," I tell her. She smiles up at me with tears in her eyes. I wipe them away and kiss her gently. Getting to know Y/N I knew she was actually a big softie at heart. She'd cry at sad kids films or when her favourite character dies. It was one of the many reasons I loved her. When she smiled up at me I knew I wanted to protect her for the rest of my life.