Preface - I have a secret

~ ~ ~

Before I can tell you this story, I first need you to know the sad truth of why it started.

It was a crisp night in the end of May. The senior party was held outdoors, in the yard of the venue where all the town's fancier wedding receptions were held. Initially, people had protested when they heard the party would be held outdoors. After all, the nights in Pennsylvania could still be cold a good way into June.

After the decoration committee had hung lanterns on string and clad the tables with linen cloths and delicate flowers, it only took some smuggled alcohol for people to warm up to the idea.

Bad pun? Okay.

I spent most of the night talking to my classmates and gushing about how much we'd miss each other after graduation. Everyone talked about the blur of high school. Or was it blip? As in a blip in time? I'm not sure.

The part I remember most was in the gazebo. The large white structure had fairy lights and vines of pale roses climbing along the walls. Young couples swirled over the wooden floorboards. All the guys were in suits and the girls' satin dresses flowed around their ankles like featherlight scarves in the wind. 

It reminded me of a fairytale and I felt like my very own Disney princess.

"I didn't know you could waltz," I said. 

My chest bubbled with happiness when Cade lead me through an overturn and eased me into a promenade. Despite knowing him my whole life, he still managed to stun me. I had no idea how he did it.

"What can I say?" he said, pulling me close to his body. "I am full of surprises."

I didn't doubt it. 

He must have learned how to waltz just for me. He knew I loved dancing in every form but he himself had not been blessed with a natural lightness of foot. 

The dancing hadn't been his only surprise that night. He had pulled me out of the gazebo by my hand, away from the crowds and all the people, away from the lanterns on string and drunken teenage chatter.

We stopped by the pond at the outskirts of the venue. He took my cold hands in his and entwined our fingers, looking into my eyes. He didn't speak as he pressed his lips to mine.

Later that night, I found him standing by that same pond. He overlooked the water with a creased forehead, seemingly deep in thought. He startled when I approached him.

As he walked me home, I wondered if he held regrets over kissing me. After all, we'd been best friends our whole lives. Being romantic with each other would complicate things, especially now when we were going off to different colleges.

Then he started joking with me the way he always did. He described in detail how he had caused a blackout in the girl's bathroom and confessed to spiking the punch.

Typical, rascal Cade.

We were laughing when we walked onto my front porch. I can't remember what we were laughing about. I wish I did.

But I remember the way he placed a gentle kiss to my forehead and how he grinned wickedly when he pulled back.

"What is it?"

"Nothing."

"Come on, Cade. I know that smile. What are you thinking about?"

He raised an eyebrow at me, slowly stepping backwards.

"Cade!" I protested, shaking with laughter. "Tell me right now! If you're planning a prank on me"

"I have a secret," Cade whispered and stepped out into the night. "I'll let you know what it is tomorrow."

"Noooo," I whined. "Tell me now! You know how much I hate cliffhangers."

The sound of his laugh echoed through the night as he stepped away from my house and into the quiet street.

"Tomorrow!" he shouted over his shoulder, and his voice was full of promises. "Trust me, it's worth the wait. You're gonna die when you find out!"

But he was wrong.

The drunk driver came out of nowhere, the bright lights of the SUV lighting him up like a performer on center stage. In the split seconds that followed, he stood frozen, staring into the lights.

I was told later that he had died instantly. He hadn't heard my roaring screams when I ran into the street as the car screeched away.

I hadn't heard my screams either. All I had heard was the lingering sound of his laughter, still echoing over the streets. 

~ ~ ~

So. 

Now you know how he died. 

The part that followed was a little more complicated.

~ ~ ~

~A/N~ 

Hello you! Yes, you, reading this. Thanks for clicking in on my story, even if it was just by accident!

I really hope you'll enjoy this little story of mine, it's been a lovechild in the making for some time now, so if you vote or comment I'd be super happy for the input as I keep developing the story 🙌