Chapter 9 - Hushed voices

When I got to the second floor, the sounds of the party were quieter. The music was more like a bounce than a melody. People's conversations were inaudible chatter.

The second floor consisted of a corridor with countless wooden doors leading to different rooms. Each door had plaques with different names on them. Most signs had two names but a couple had so many as four.

When I went down the hall I noticed that one of the doors was ajar. The room was dimly lit and there were hushed voices coming from inside.

Just as I was about to turn back, the door flung open.

I came face to face with a girl so short that the top of her head barely reached my shoulders.

The girl looked up at me with surprise as she lingered in the doorway.

Through the cracked door I could see the bottom half of a guy on a bed, wearing jeans and sneakers.

"Hi!" the girl squeaked. "Have you seen Misha?"

"Um," I replied slowly, "sorry, I don't know who that is."

The short girl shook her head in frustration.

"What about Haley?"

I didn't have time to say anything before she spoke again.

"Or maybe you've seen Raven? Or Charlie?" Her eyes narrowed. "You haven't even seen Georgia?"

I wanted to flee back down the stairs. I felt like I was intruding.

"Sorry, this is my first time here."

"Okay, never mind," she said. "Could you keep an eye on this idiot for me until I come back? Just make sure he doesn't steal anything. I need to go find Freddy."

The barking sound of a guy's laughter came from inside the bedroom.

"I'll just be a second!" the girl said, grabbing a pair of flip flops and running past me. "It's important. Thanks, I appreciate it!"

Unsure of what to do, I lingered in the doorway for a moment. But then I realized I was being super weird and that the guy in the room obviously must be wondering what the hell I'm doing.

When I approached the room, I stopped breathing.

The guy on the bed was Jack Wyler.

His blonde hair was tousled and he was buttoning his shirt over his naked chest.

When he saw me his laugh slowly faded.

"Oh." His eyes inspected me. "Hello again."

~ ~ ~

~A/N~
This chapter was really short so I figured I'd just post it. I'm gonna try to not have short chapters like this in the future! But hey now you got two instead :P

Hope you're getting excited for next week's updates... I know I am!!