Chapter 34 - JWyler02

My phone vibrated on the small nightstand next to my bed. The buzzing sound had woken me up and by now I'd lost count of how many times it had gone off in the last couple of hours.

The daylight streaming through the window of my dorm was dimmed by thick, white clouds specking the sky. Was it going to rain today? That would have been a first.

I pulled the covers up to my chin, willing the cold feeling in my body to leave me. I was going to stay under these covers all day. Nothing could pull me from the safety of my room today. Besides, the warm was warm and cozy and my head felt heavy on my pillow. There were worse ways to spend a Sunday.

My phone vibrated again, but this time it didn't stop. It buzzed with long intervals, twisting my phone slightly with every buzz. 

I stared at it until it stopped ringing. 

When the unanswered call was followed by another short buzz, I reached my hand out and grabbed it. 

My palms were already sweaty when I started scrolling through the notifications. 

(01:38) Dani
Where did you go? Please let me explain.

(01:44) Dani
Did you go?

2 missed calls from Dani.

(02:01) Dani
I'm so sorry. 

(04:01) 310-555-0158
heuUp??

(10:12) Dani
Hey, are you awake?

(10:13) Dani
I'm not quite sure what happened yesterday. 

(10:43) Dani
I just talked to Paula.

(10:44) Dani
Please don't be mad at me. I really want to explain what happened. I'm free all day if you wanna call or meet up.

(11:05) Jack
You're late.

(11:11) Sierra
Hey. I heard about what happened. Are you okay? Dani says she's really sorry. You have every right to be mad at her but I don't think she meant any harm.

1 missed call from Jack

(11:26) Jack
Are you coming to practice?

All the texts from Dani made me uncomfortable. I knew Sierra was right, Dani probably didn't mean to be hurtful. But telling someone my secret—even though it turned out later that Jack's secret was far worse—did hurt me. I didn't feel like talking to her today. 

I tapped the notification from the random number, wondering who on earth would text me at four in the morning. I quickly got my answer from our brief, previous conversation—it was Freddy. 

But the texts from Jack were the worst. I threw my phone down to the foot of the bed, wanting it out of my sight. 

No apology? No saying he understood I felt betrayed but wanting me to talk to him? He was only trying to talk to me to not fuck up our performance. The depressing thing was how disappointed I felt. Even after his lies, I was desperate for him to care about me in the same way I had cared about him. 

Had I cared about him? 

Groaning, I pulled the covers over my head and let the darkness engulf me. I didn't have an answer to that. I only knew how much it hurt now.

I didn't move until some time later when there was a pounding at the door.

I came up for air, staring at the door. I was about to check my phone for more messages when the door pounded again. I threw the covers off me. It had to be Dani.