Chapter 40 - The trophy room

Like a Friday tradition, I once again stood glaring at the belly of the beast—a.k.a. the entrance to the Alpha Phi frat house. 

They must have gotten enough warnings for a semester, because now the entrance was blocked by two large security guards in official jackets and I was only one of the many people trapped in the serpent-like line of people trailing up to the front porch.

"Please remind me why I agreed to stand in this line with you," I muttered to Dani and passed the bottle of sparkling wine to her. "Sierra and Finley got into the party at Gamma after just a few minutes and they're the second best party frat according to your tier list."

Dani took a quick swing from the bottle and handed it back to me.

"Haley said she'd be here," she said. "And even if she isn't, Jesse definitely will be."

I brought the bottle to my lips, throwing her a side-eye. "And who is Jesse again?"

Dani wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

"Am I supposed to get what that means?" I asked, breath wheezing into the bottle.

Dani rolled her eyes, grabbing the bottle from me.

"Stop hogging the wine." She glanced around before leaning in to my ear. "He's the one with the smokes."

I frowned. "The smokes?"

Dani leaned back and raised her eyebrows pointedly.

"Ah," I said. "The smokes. Gotcha."

Dani rolled her eyes. "I've already texted him saying I'm here but I guess he's got a busy night."

I nodded, looking at the clusters of people both in front of us and behind us.

"Are they even letting people in? I'm going to be sober before I've even set foot in the place."

"Since when is that a concern of yours?" Dani gasped and threw her hands on my shoulders. "You have finally joined the dark side!"

I finished the last splash from the bottle and rolled my eyes before setting it down at our feet. I had to twist it into the grass in order to keep it standing. I straightened up and brushed the hair from my face.

"I've had a long week," I commented dryly. "And I think Jack and I aren't speaking again. I need all the liquid courage I can get if I run into him tonight."

Dani chuckled. "Again? Oh, you two..."

"Hey, this time it wasn't my fault!" I chewed my lip. "At least, I don't think so. I honestly don't know what happened."

I wrapped my faux leather jacket tighter around myself, the small breeze leaving a chill in my body.

Dani hummed. "Is he mad at you or are you mad at him?"

I thought about it.

"Neither," I concluded.

"Then why can't you text him?"

"It's complicated," I muttered, watching two girls at the front of the line finally get let into the house. They were the only one's I'd seen get in since we got here fifteen minutes ago.