Chapter 12 - Don't come

I hadn't expected Jack to come near me willingly after the coldness that followed our almost-kiss. I had thought that cozying up to one of Jack's friends might lead me back to him. But here he was, empty cup in hand, asking Freddy to move over.

"Jack, my man. What can I get you?"

"Anything is fine," Jack replied, not looking at me.

Before I could think of anything to say, the moment was gone.

"Where did you go?" Paula asked, wrapping her arms around Jack's waist.

Then she noticed me.

"Hey, it's you! What was your name again?"

"It's Allie."

"Right! I was bummed when you didn't wanna come party with us."

There was something strange about her tone of voice, even though her words were sweet. Maybe it was the slight tension in her eyebrows as she spoke, or the way she pouted her lips when she leaned her head against Jack's chest. 

Whatever it was, it made me instantly like her less.

"Sorry, I was busy," I lied. 

"Bummer."

"We're having a party tomorrow at our frat house," Freddy chimed in. "You should come."

"Thanks," I said, "I might. Which one is it?"

Instead of answering me like a normal person would, Freddy pulled out his phone from his pocket with a devilish smile.

"Give me your number and I'll text you the details."

I hesitated, not sure I wanted him to have my number. If I wanted to get closer to Jack I had to blend into his world, but I hadn't had time to ponder the cost I was willing to pay for it.

"Forget about it, she doesn't like to party," Jack said with a harsh laugh. "Not the way we do it."

I ripped the phone from Freddy's hands.

"Don't listen to him. Text me the details, I'll be there."

Freddy looked back and forth between us, waving a finger. 

"Do you two know each other?"

"No," Jack said sharply, making Paula raise an eyebrow.

"We've met briefly," I supplied.

Freddy nodded, giving Jack a curious look. 

"But that's great," Freddy said. "Can't wait to see you at our party tomorrow."

He lowered his voice and spoke close to my ear so that only I could hear.

"I'm sure you'll have a great time. Our boys love dancers."

He squeezed my arm before heading back to the rest of the party. 

Paula and Jack stood for a moment, looking at me with different expressions. Paula's smile was a mix between amusement and mischief. Jack didn't smile at all. He stared at me with an annoyed wrinkle between his eyebrows. Not that he had anything to be annoyed at. 

When they started moving, I released a breath I didn't know I had been holding. 

"Go ahead, I'll come in a sec."

I looked up to see Jack lingering a few feet away. Paula scoffed, glanced between him and me, before stomping off to the frat house.

Jack slowly turned back to me. 

My heart started thumping nervously.

"Don't come to the party tomorrow," he warned me. "They were just trying to be nice inviting you."

"What if I want to go?"

"You don't. It's not a place for a girl like you."

I scoffed. "And what kind of girl am I exactly?"

"Innocent?"

He said the word like it was something dirty.

"I'm not innocent! I can take care of myself."

"As if."

"I don't know why you're saying this to me, you don't even know me."

Jack's mouth opened like he was about to say something, right before he stopped himself. His jaw hardened.

"Just don't come," he spat, abruptly walking away.

His behavior left me confused. One moment he was trying to kiss me and the next he was rude and presumed to know me. The reason for his mood swings was unknown to me, but one thing was sure.

I was definitely going to that party.

~ ~ ~

~A/N~

Hmm, what's the deal with Jack? Was he hangry? Or was there something more going on? Maybe we'll find out in the updates next week...

Thanks for reading, remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed it. It makes me really happy to get notifications from you readers 🙌