20

"Careful, careful..." Asher chants as he helps me into the house holding Willow in one arm and helping me with the other.

"I'm not an invalid Asher." I argue as I make my way up the porch steps. I'm sore but not incapable. Thank you God for quick healing.

"Give me my pup and go hassle the warriors. I'm fine Ash please just go relax for a few hours." I say taking Willow from his arms. I see him look toward the training grounds longingly.

"You sure you're alright? I mean I can stay around a bit longer I mean it's only been a week I can stay with you longer." He says and I smile.

"Go for a few hours then come back. You need to de-stress. We will be waiting for you to return but I can't handle you being all uptight a minute longer." I tell him and he smiles.

"I love you, Emily. Be good for momma little wolf." He says kissing each of us before jogging off.

"Alright Willow let's get you changed then we can go over to grandma and grandpa's." I coo at my baby bouncing her in my arms as I go inside.

"Hello Emily." A deep voice sounds behind me as I close the door. I turn around to find a tall dark man. "Put the infant in its cot. I won't hurt her but I need you to come with me." He holds a gun to my head as I walk over to the little bassinet in the living room and put my pup in.

"Mommy loves you Willow." I whisper to her and face the man. "Why are you doing this?"

"I want my brothers back. I don't want to hurt you. I need to see Titan and Anhur. Considering I threatened to kill them last time I saw them I thought it best to have some security with me. That's where you come in. Titan won't attack me if you are there. Father's lost it... I just want my brothers back." He tells me.

"Then let's go Aries. Put the gun away and I'll take you to them." I tell him and he pauses.

"You know me? How?" He asks lowering the weapon.

"Asher...Titan... he loves you. He still calls you his brother. He wants you to join us... come on let's go talk to him." I say slowly taking his hand. "It's gonna be okay. You'll be okay Aries." He nods and I lead him out of the house.

As we approach the training grounds I see a battle ground. Guns are firing everywhere.

"They weren't supposed to attack until nightfall." Aries whispers.

"You are one of them can't you stop this?" I ask.

"I can try." He nods "Enough!" Aries's voice booms causing the hunters to stop and look at him.

"Aries my boy! I thought you were on my side. Imagine my surprise when your bunk was empty. You disappoint me son. Just like your brothers." An older man says stepping out from the crowd.

"Play along." Aries whispers before harshly grabbing my arm and pulling me in front of him. "Father, I was just getting us some leverage. The leader's daughter and Titan's girlfriend. Can't get a better bargaining chip." He shakes me giving me a look. Oh yea 'play along'

"Let go of me you brute!" I yell slapping at his chest, playing up the helpless girl angle. I could get away but Aries seems to have a plan.

"Aries how could you!?" I hear Asher scream.

"Emanuel!" I see Alpha Samuel step forward. I hear Aries take in a sharp breath.

"Dad." He whispers to himself. He shakes it off and turns to the man he called Father.

"Father think about it. With her in our possession they will surrender." He tells the man.

"When I make my move run to Titan." He whispers to me.

"We can end this war with much fewer casualties. It took long enough to gather this many men. I'd rather not lose any more. I've already lost my brothers." He yells to the man.

"Don't do this Aries!" Asher yells.

"He's on our side Ash. I'll be in your arms soon." I link him and he nods slightly.

"We won't give up so easily Commander. My brother is nuts no way we stand down so easily!" Asher turns his aggression toward the older man.

"I had such high hopes for you Titan. You were my favorite. Then to be taken down by a woman. She is beautiful I'll give you that. Bring her here Aries." He commands.

As we approach the man I feel Aries's grip loosen. He taps one finger on my arm, then two, then three before he lunges at the man. The man dodges and punches Aries before grabbing me.

"I'm truly disappointed, Aries. You think I'm that stupid? You did get me the girl tho so you have my thanks." The man chuckles.

"Let her go!" Aries yells. "Haven't you caused enough harm? You kidnapped us! You tortured us! Brain washed us! You made us feel like monsters then you killed Odin! Titan was right. Let her go she is not part of this. Fight me and leave her out of this you coward!"

"You are a monster son. That will always be true... as for the girl? You're right. She is a monster too. She is of no use to me alive." He says and I hear a bang.

I feel pain in my chest. I look down to see red spread across my shirt.

"Nooooo!" My mate's voice is the last thing I hear before I slip into darkness.

Asher's POV

"Nooooo!" I yell charging at them. Just as I reach the man I once called Father Aries comes from behind him grabbing his arms. I plunge my partially shifted hand into his chest and tear out what little heart he had.

"Kill them all!" I roar and my men jump into action. Without the commander the hunters crumble.

I drop to my mate's side and hold her close to me. No sparks light up my skin. No life is left in her as I cry over her body.

"I was supposed to die in this war not you!" I sob.

"I'm sorry brother. I wanted to talk to you before Father came. If I would have known..." Aries starts but I cut him off.

"I know. Emily linked me that you were on our side. You did your best. Its not your fault." I tell him not looking away from my mate. I can't blame him. He tried to save us all. This is on the commander and he is dead.

But its also on me. If I would have left her alone Aries wouldn't have gone to our house and found Emily. The commander wouldn't have gotten her and she would be alive. Maybe my first plan was right. Maybe I should just kill myself. I've caused nothing but pain. Everyone would be better if...

"Stop it right now!" I hear a command causing me to look up and see my mate's father, my king. "I know where your mind is going son and it's not good. It's not true. You have a family now that would be broken if you do what you are thinking."

"Its all my fault." I say lowering my head.

"You have a pup. Would Emily want you to abandon her daughter? Does Willow deserve to lose her mother and father only days after her birth?" He asks.

"Willow!" I snap my head up to look at him. "Where's my pup?"

"Bella has her. She went as soon as you announced the hunters. My mate knew you'd try and keep Emily out of it and went to take her and Willow to the safe house."

"Thank you Alpha." I say breathing a sigh of relief.

"Please Asher. You're my son. I think you need a Dad more than an Alpha right now." He says sitting on the ground next to me. He puts one arm around me and holds his daughter's lifeless hand in his other hand. "My baby girl." He whispers as a tear falls down his cheek.

"I don't know what to do Dad." I say so softly I don't know if it was audible.

"We live and we remember. We live on for her and make sure Willow knows her mother. It's all we can do." He says and we just sit there feeling the heat drain from her body.

Gone.... she's gone.