04

We continue our relationship for a couple months. I've visited all the packs dad went to without finding my mate. I think I could accept Bane but recently I have been having this nagging feeling. I keep thinking about my mate. I'm distracted around Bane. Feeling less attracted to him. I don't know what's going on.

Father is off visiting Uncle Ryan's pack. (Uncle Ryan is dad's cousin.) I went last time so I decided to stay home this time. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with me and Bane. I feel myself pulling away but I don't know why.

"Hey baby." Bane says kissing my cheek and sitting next to me.

"Hey handsome." I smile at him.

"I was thinking we should go out today." He tells me.

"And what would we be doing?" I ask.

"Hummmmm... bowling?" He asks.

"So your Typical date then... you gonna stand behind me and teach me how to throw the ball?" I grin at him.

"Only if you ask nicely... and you should roll the ball not throw it." He smirks. I roll my eyes.

"What ever Romeo. Let's go bowling." I say.

The entire time we are out it just feels wrong. I don't know why. I like Bane. He is the sweetest sappiest man alive. He cares about me.

"So I heard your dad is coming back today." He says on our drive home. I know he feels the difference in our relationship but he doesn't say it.

"Yup... he said something went wrong but he's okay and will be home soon." I tell him.

"Cool... hey I know it's short notice but I kinda got ta go home for a bit... like a week tops. I'm sorry... I know things have been weird with us recently. I don't want this to be the end of us... you are amazing Meme... I love you." He smiles and my jaw drops.

"Bane..."

"No!... I'm not looking for you to respond. I just want you to know. If you don't find your mate I will love you for all of our lives. I'd be a good mate to you. You don't have to worry about that. I just wanted to let you know in hopes of alleviating this awkwardness. I'm here for you." He rants. Yes, because saying you love someone alleviates awkwardness! So stupid! I'm not pulling away because I doubt his feelings. Crap! I don't even know why I'm pulling away!

"You will be a good mate for whomever you choose. No one could ever doubt that. You're a good man Bane." I tell him. He gives me a smile but it seems forced.

As soon as we get home Bane runs off to pack. I feel an uneasiness as soon as I enter the house. I decide to see if my dad is home.

"Sooo... how was Uncle Ryan's?" I ask as I enter his office.

"Eventful." Dad responds.

"What happened to you'll tell me anything if I ask?... do I need to start crawling around in vents again?" I ask trying to lighten his mood.

"Little Meme growing up." He smiles. "We were attacked. Three wolves that are more dangerous than anything I've ever seen... they are the one's that have been killing entire packs. So young..." he trails off lost in thought.

"Daddy?... how did you survive? I mean they took out so many packs! How do three wolves do that?" I ask.

"A strong leader... Alpha blood... brainwashing... there're a lot of factors and I'm still collecting information. But we captured one of them. That's how we survived. The other two retreated. Listen to me Emily... don't go near the infirmary for a while. This wolf is dangerous." He tells me and I feel panicked.

"Infirmary?! Is he okay? What's wrong with him?" I ask desperately.

"He's detoxing... we don't know if he'll survive. We've restrained him. He keeps lashing out. Don't go near him, Emily. I can't risk him hurting you. Promise me you won't let your curiosity get the better of you." He begs.

"I won't daddy. I'll avoid the infirmary." I smile having no intention of honoring that promise. Dad sighs.

"Little one, I know you to well... Emily, I command you as the King to remain outside the infirmary until I say otherwise." Dang it! I can't resist that stupid command! I give him an angry look. "You know it was necessary." He says.

"Doesn't mean I have to like it." I grumble.

"Your safety matters more to me than if you currently like me." He says. I stand up and walk over to him.

"I will always love you daddy." I say with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "But that was still mean." I walk out of the room and head towards my bedroom.

Who is this mystery wolf? Is he really that dangerous? I want desperately to meet him. I guess I do have a curious nature. Why am I so focused on this unknown person?

A knock on my door pulls me from my thoughts.

"Hey Meme, I'm headed out." Bane says from the doorway.

"I'll miss you." I tell him honestly. I may feel differently than before but I still care for him and I want him back here. I don't know what I'll do with my time once he's gone.

"I'll miss you too." He says gently touching his forehead to mine. I'm lost in the embrace and I don't want him to leave.

"Alright lover boy you said your goodbye now paws off my sister!" A voice breaks the trance we were in.

"Atticus! Leave me alone you jerk!" I yell at my nosey brother.

"Its okay Meme. I have to get going... one week I promise. I'll be back." He grins kissing me on the cheek.

I go back into my room after giving Atty my best 'go die in a hole' look. I flop onto my bed with a sigh. Brothers ruin everything! I groan putting a pillow over my face.

"You didn't think I'd let him ruin our moment did you?" The question makes me smile. I throw the pillow off my face and jump up. Bane wraps me in his arms. "I'm really gonna miss you Emily."

"Its only a week right? Imagine how much harder it would be if we were mates." I say trying to make it a little lighter knowing if we were mates him leaving would be impossible.

"If we were mates." He says in an intimidatingly serious tone. "You would already be marked and mine. We wouldn't be saying goodbye because you would never leave my side."

"Well... lets see if I'm counting correctly in 9 months if I don't find my given mate I will be yours... so you should enjoy your time away now because I won't let you leave me if we become mates... I'm a little possessive of what's mine." I tell him all uncertainty gone when I'm in his arms. In a flash his lips are on mine but just as quickly they are gone.

"Don't make those promises, Emily. 8 months is a long time... you may never be mine." He says looking me in my eye. I can tell he wants to continue kissing me but I can see the ghost of his lost mate in his eyes. He is afraid of losing me. "Goodbye Emily, miss me." He grins then jumps out window. Probably for the best as Atty would kill him if he saw him coming out of my room.

When Bane leaves the spell his presence casts leaves with him. As much as I try to think of him and our future my mind drifts to the mystery Wolf tied up in the infirmary. I want to see him. To make sure he is okay. I don't even know this wolf! I can't go to the infirmary so this train of thought is pointless!

"Vents." My wolf says and an idea forms.