Chapter 5

A/N: no prompt, just a bored author with too much time on her hands :) I needed to write more based on the last prompt, so here it is.

...

Your life has become hell.

Under normal circumstances you don't consider yourself a paranoid person, but ever since Loki showed up at your apartment last week you've been massively on edge, convinced that he's going to turn up at any moment.

Which he has, three times.

Once in your office, appearing directly behind Agent Hill and causing you to choke on your coffee before spilling it all over your desk. He'd disappeared again before Hill had the chance to turn around. Later that afternoon Tony had visited you in your office to 'check up' on you.

"I'm fine. Just tired." you'd smiled.

Loki showed up again two days later in your apartment, in the middle of the night. The moment in which you'd caught sight of the silhouette of a dark figure in the corner of your living room definitely ranked in the top five most frightening moments of your life.

You'd shrieked and thrown a whole plant pot at him, but he disappeared before it made contact with his head (you had good aim if nothing else). There had been a dry chuckle from the other side of the room, and then nothing.

The noises hadn't been easy to explain to your neighbours.

You hadn't slept for two nights after that, refusing to shower for more than three minutes at a time and keeping all of your lights turned on throughout the night.

The last time you'd seen him had been Friday afternoon. You'd been eating lunch in the break room with a few of your co-workers, and Loki had just appeared in the middle of the room. In plain sight.

No one batted an eyelid. He was making it so that only you could see him.

"Y/N, are you okay? You've gone sorta pale."

You'd excused yourself, inventing an excuse about 'time of the month', before grabbing your stuff and hurrying off to your office. Loki had followed you, strolling behind you at a leisurely pace.

Whistling.

You'd slammed the door behind you, but he'd just teleported through it.

"So unladylike."

You'd spun around to point at him threateningly.

"Leave me alone."

Your voice had sounded disgustingly desperate. Loki had obviously enjoyed that, because he just smirked and leaned back against your doorway, crossing his arms.

"Or what."

You were ashamed to admit that you may have slightly lost your cool after that. There was now a dent in your door the exact size and shape of the paperweight which sat on your desk.

There was absolutely nothing you could do about the torture which had suddenly become your life. Tony thought you were getting better; you didn't want him thinking that you were mental. And if Thor didn't believe you, then no one would. You were trapped.

It's currently Tuesday morning, and you're absolutely shattered. Sleep is a concept long since lost to you. Although, you haven't seen Loki since you threw a whole paperweight at him last week. Maybe he's given up with torturing you.

You're foolish to have hoped for such good fortune.

"You look awful."

You jump out of your skin, knocking your cup of coffee with your elbow. Loki is suddenly beside you, and catches it. Then he tuts.

"You should really be more careful. That-"

You stand up, snatch the coffee from his hand, and throw it in his face. It's still pretty hot, and you feel a rush of satisfaction as he hisses in pain, stepping backwards abruptly.

Then he glares at you with those cold, empty looking eyes of his, and you realise that you've just thrown hot coffee in the face of a convicted murderer.

You drop the empty cup that you were holding, and run. He doesn't try and stop you, which strikes you as odd. As you run down the corridor you're expecting at any moment to feel a knife between your shoulder blades, or for some magic to force you to stop running, but you don't, and it doesn't.

"Agent Y/L/N? What's happened?"

Director Fury is stood in front of you. You skid to a halt, and find yourself at an absolute loss for words.

"I'm not an Agent anymore." you find yourself, quite rudely, telling the most senior member of the organisation which you work for.

Fury frowns.

"Stark tells me that you had an 'episode' a couple of weeks ago; I was under the impression that you were well enough to come back to work." he says to you sternly.

"I- uh..."

"Miss Y/N, I suggest you tell me what in hell's name is going on here." Fury demands, staring you down with his one good eye.

So, against your better judgement, you tell him the truth.

"I didn't have an episode. He really was in my office, and he's been in my apartment too, showing up in the middle of the night..." you trail off once you've told him everything, realising that you probably should have kept your mouth shut.

Fury's expression hasn't changed once throughout your whole monologue.

"We'd better go and see Stark." he finally says, turning and striding back up the corridor the way he'd come from. You stare after him, before practically falling over yourself to follow him. Is someone finally taking you seriously?

...

You stand in front of a monitor between Tony and Fury, and watch as CCTV footage of you shouting at your office door, before throwing a paperweight at it and burying your head in your hands plays. Loki is nowhere to be seen on the footage.

"You told me you were fine." Tony says, hitting pause on his computer before turning to look at you. He's worried about you.

"I lied."

"Stark, you can handle this. I've got places to be." Fury says. Before he leaves, he places a hand on your shoulder and gives you an uncharacteristically sympathetic look.

"Get better, Agent Y/L/N."

"I'm not an Agent." you tell him. He just stares at you for a moment, before patting your shoulder and leaving the room.

"What are we going to do with you?" Tony asks, leaning back in his chair and giving you the same sympathetic look that Fury gave you.

"I'm not mad." you say. It's becoming something of a mantra for you.

"I know Y/N, but Reindeer Games obviously messed you up pretty good up there." Tony tells you, pointing at your forehead. You don't reply. What can you say?

"Maybe you should stay here for a bit. You can have one of the spare rooms upstairs: the team and I will be close by, and there are guards on patrol 24/7, on all floors." Tony suggests.

He's trying to take you seriously; to help you. You don't cry, but if you did you imagine you probably would right now.

You can't seem to speak, so end up just nodding instead.

"Yeah? Okay. The day's pretty much over, go grab some stuff from your apartment and I'll meet you back here in an hour?"

"Thank you." you say, your voice slightly constricted. He nods, concern written all over his face.

"You're welcome."

You walk back to your office to retrieve your jacket and bag, and are relieved to find it empty. Just before you leave, you notice something.

There's a fresh cup of coffee sat in the middle of your desk.