Chapter 12

Prompt from @HaelTheQueen (ao3 user): Y/n overhears Tony telling cap that they are using a mind device on Loki that rips at your mind and makes you relive things and y/n busts into the room and leverages Loki's safety for her working with the avengers (maybe she has secrets powers?). And fury decides the deal is worth it but her first duty is information retrieval from Loki. 

A/N: this turned so angsty very quickly woops. the prompt was too good not to use wow. I hope you enjoy, and please send me more prompts for the next chapters!<3

...

Loki visited you (as an illusion) twice after he'd come to apologise. However, you haven't seen him now for three days. He'd looked sort of... diminished during his last visits, like he was struggling to keep his illusion up.

Thankfully he hadn't mentioned you being worried about him again. If you hadn't been worried before, you definitely are now.

You're planning on going to see Loki after work. You don't trust that he's alright, not after what Tony had said. You haven't seen Thor since he was in your office either, so you don't know how his talk with Tony had gone. If it had gone at all.

Going to visit Tony to talk to him about it was off the table. You knew that, as an Avenger, he was technically under Fury's jurisdiction, much as he tried to avoid admitting it. There's a file on your desk that you need to give to him, which you're ignoring.

You don't even want to think about going to Fury.

"Y/N, we're going for lunch. You coming?" Kate asks you, poking her head around the door and breaking you out of your train of thought.

"Yeah, sure." you say as you stand up, grabbing your bag, coat and, after a moment's hesitation, the file for Tony from your desk, before following Kate from the room. You can leave it on his desk if he's not in his office, and you have an excuse to leave quickly now if he is.

"Who's coming?" you ask, pulling your coat on as you walk down the corridor.

"Maddie, Fi, George and Dan." Kate tells you, wiggling her eyebrows at the mention of Dan's name. She has some ridiculous notion in her head that there's something going on between the two of you.

There's not, of course. You've hardly got time to be thinking about that sort of thing. You and Dan are good friends, nothing more. But apparently talking to him on the night out you'd gone on with everyone from the department meant that there was something more going on.

You make a mental note to yourself not to speak to him more than Kate might consider a normal amount while you're out today.

Everyone's waiting for you in the break room. Dan smiles at you as you enter the room. You pretend not to see, feeling bad as you smile at Fiona instead.

You walk down the corridor with everyone, chatting to Maddie, before telling them you'll catch up with them when you pass Tony's office on the way towards the elevator.

The door is slightly ajar, and you raise your hand to knock before hearing voices coming from inside.

You shouldn't eavesdrop. But you do.

"Thor isn't happy Tony, and for good reason. It's not right-"

That sounds like Steve. You mentally shake your head at yourself for calling Captain America by his first name so casually.

"You do know who we're talking about here right? The psycho maniac who tried to take over the world and blew up a good part of New York in trying to do so? Look outside, they're still rebuilding-"