Chapter 21

Prompt from @Wolfie_ROOD (ao3 user): I like the idea ofthe reader being a very young badass compared to everyone else. Like, people intheir 30's who've been working their asses off probably couldn't compare toher. What if one of her assignments is to go to... wherever they train newrecruits or something lmao and she helps train them. Not for very long, maybe acouple of days just to give pointers and stuff. She's a pro, so anytime therewould benefit the newbies even if it's not for very long. And of courseeeeeLoki comes along for the ride! (part one)

A/N: this was a huge old prompt but it's probably one of my favourites so far! I've split it into two halves so stay tuned, and keep sending new prompts!<3

...

Two weeks later

Unusually, things are going quite well.

It's been two weeks since the Stark Party (despite Thor's remedy you think you might still be hungover), and the morning after in which Loki had made you breakfast. And it had been good food too, much to your surprise.

Since then, you've been on another mission which had gone just as well, if not better, than the first. Fury has practically been singing your praises around the Tower, mainly, you suspect, to draw attention to the fact that it was his idea to get you back in the field and on the team.

He'd come bursting into the kitchen the morning after the party: "Were you going to inform me that you'd decided to join the Avengers? Or were you just going to wait for word to get around?"

You could tell that he wasn't really angry. Or maybe he just didn't want to raise his voice after last night's celebrations.

So now you were a SHIELD agent again, and an Avenger.

Your first panic attack had come the night you'd officially moved into the Tower. It had almost come as a relief; you'd been carrying it around in your chest for a while, afraid that it was going to hit when you were at work, or even worse, on a mission.

You're not sure whether it made you feel better or worse. It had cost you a night of sleep, which you'd paid for dearly the next day in the office.

There will be more. You're hoping that you'll be able to get better at controlling them.

Importantly, you'd used this second successful mission to convince Fury to start letting Loki have more freedom around the Tower.

You'd pretended that you were doing it to pay Loki back for looking after you when you were hungover. In reality, you knew it would mean spending more time with him.

Fury had been adamant that Loki must not be seen without at least two other Avengers with him at all times, a rule which you have been blatantly flaunting but has had no repercussions as of yet.

Loki had tried to appear disinterested at his newfound freedom within the Tower, but you could tell that he was pleased at being allowed out of the living quarters.

People are starting to trust him. He's spent a lot of time in your department while you've been working; your colleagues had been hugely wary at first but warmed to him quite quickly after you'd told them his story (when he hadn't been present, obviously).

Some of them have warmed to him a little bit too much for your liking. Specifically Amber.

The past two weeks have done nothing but make very clear your feelings towards Loki. They're not sour anymore. They're not even platonic.

Neither are Amber's, by the looks of it.

You're currently sat in your office, typing away at your computer and trying desperately hard to ignore the sound of Loki's voice and Amber's loud giggling coming from the break room. Josh, Penny and Jackson are there too, but all you hear is Amber.